Room selection question

<p>Stupid question…but I am stressing out over room selection as I will be responsible for getting four boys into one suite at room selection time. </p>

<p>Would it be better to search initially for ANY/ALL residence hall(s) with 4 rooms available or is it better to choose a specific residence hall to search first?</p>

<p>Just trying to improve my chances of getting a suite with all 4 rooms available. I have first selection time on the first day.</p>

<p>Is there anyone here who has access to the room selection site to see what is currently available? I read back to last year’s posts and there were a couple of people who were able to post availability prior to freshman room selection dates. Thanks!</p>

<p>If you want to be really obsessive (like me) there is a long (7 pages, I think) thread from last year’s room selection that started in early March 2011 that contains some helpful information. I think I read there that someone put in “All” and got nothing, but when they put in a specific dorm, rooms popped up. Take this FWIW - I have no personal experience, just hours of time on CC.</p>

<p>ETA: Here’s the post I was thinking about. Sounds like it might have just been a glitch.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I would start with a specific hall. </p>

<p>How many selection times are before yours? If you don’t have an early one, then I might not start with Ridgecrest South since that’s popular and may not have any empty boys suites. </p>

<p>I might start with Riverside West, Ridgecrest West, or Lakeside West…all are honors.</p>

<p>I have the first selection time on the first day.</p>

<p>Then you can start with the first choice hall. That shouldn’t be a problem. I think that Housing blocks out suites for the frosh, so that upper classmen can’t just sprinkle themselves across all the suites…leaving none completely empty. ;)</p>

<p>Wdaveo, I’m also stressing about getting a suite with 4 openings for DD and her roomies. Three of them are friends and the other is a girl they met during UA Honor Band. They want Ridgecrest S - N Tower; I told them to be happy with any floor I could get them into. We also have first time on the first day.</p>

<p>Just do your best! It the people that will make the dorm special not building and you can’t predict who will be living where. The resident advisors have a great reputation too so students are not left without support and encouragement.</p>

<p>The stress of this whole process comes with this realization: since every 2-some or 3-some or 4-some most likely will have someone in the very first time slots - picking first and pulling in everyone else w/ them - then in effect hundreds if not thousands of kids (who do not have that 1st slot) fill up the rooms in the very first time slot BY DEFAULT.</p>

<p>Don’t get me wrong: UA is tremendous in letting kids pick their roommates ahead of time. But it also allows a unique competitive element to enter into what should otherwise be a formality, not a feeding frenzy.</p>

<p>I do not envy those who have the 1st time slot. The burden and responsibility that comes w/ it is not something that I would like to have to deal w/. I am grateful for my son’s “1st” roommate, for pulling us in w/ him…and I wish everyone success in their selections and efforts. April 12th is a special day!</p>

<p>another room questions my son asked me to pose. Before you ask-he refuses to join CC. The first time he looked in CC for info on colleges and summer programs, he almost had an anxiety attack. He was very humbled and demoralized by the stats the other kids had trying out for the same summer programs that he was. </p>

<p>So back to the question- what is the noise level like if you have people living above and beside you? Since the buildings are new, are they pretty sound proof (my guess)? Or are they paper thin and like living in a 1950’s motel?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>My kids have never complained about noise above, below, or in suites next door.</p>

<p>Daughter has complained about noise from above, but not the kind where you hear them walking around. More like the boys above are playing music or video games VERY loud. She went to her RA and he let the boys above know they were a bit loud and I believe there hasn’t been a problem since.</p>

<p>Edited to add: she lives in Riverside East.</p>

<p>Lakeside West question. D has 1st day second time slot. She would like a room overlooking the lake. How can we tell which rooms do. Are they odd or even numbered?
Do all the bedrooms on the lakeside have view of it?</p>

<p>My daughter has an odd numbered suite with the “C” room and has a gorgeous view of the lake. Based on the layout of the suite and the locations of the windows within the individual rooms, the “D” room would also have a lake view, but the “A” and “B” rooms may not.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>If you are live Ridgecrest South and have the bedroom(s) that share a common wall with the livingroom space then the potential noise of loud music or video games could be an issue. That is something that roommates should discuss prior to moving in and having a roommate contract is good to iron out those details.</p>

<p>Do you know what the rooms are numbered so when choosing a room we can get the room farthest from the living area? It doesn’t say anything on the housing other than diagrams.</p>

<p>For Ridgecrest South, I believe that room A and D are furthest away. </p>

<p>For the other super suites, room D is the furthest. Room A is the closest to the living room.</p>

<p>For those of you who did this last year…do you remember if you were able to log into the room selection page and then just his ‘refresh’ over and over until the room selection came up? Or can we not even log in until our selection time?</p>

<p>Just an FYI, the room selection times are Central. I know that there are lots of OOS folks on here.</p>