Room selection

<p>My roommate and I are planning on being in Ridgecrest South North Tower. We also want to be on the same floor as a few other people. Is there a way to make sure we’re on the same floor/have adjacent suites? And also, I have the first slot on the second day of room selection. Any idea how quickly RCS might fill up?</p>

<p>No real way, just get in there quickly and try and pick a room on a floor with the most empty rooms. Adjacent suites is pushing it, for all you know they could be girl’s rooms…</p>

<p>Room selection goes REALLY FAST and the rooms go quickly.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that odd numbered rooms are all on the same side of the hallway, while even numbered rooms are on the other side. Also remember that the distances between rooms are relatively short and b)you will likely meet more friends as time goes on, many of whom might not live in the same residence hall, let alone the same floor.</p>

<p>The room numbers are consecutive in RCS, all of the odd numbers are not on the same side of the hall with even numbers on the opposite side. If you walk down the hall you will find consecutive numbers 401, 402, 403 on the same side of the hallway.</p>

<p>I’m currently in Ridgecrest South, North Tower. I did have pretty late room selection, but I barely got into here. Make sure you’re on the second your selection begins online. All of the available rooms in Ridgecrest South for my selection time were gone in about 5 minutes. I wouldn’t count on getting adjacent rooms unless you get lucky, but getting rooms on the same floor is very possible.</p>

<p>The most important thing with room selection is being flexible. You may desire to live in Ridgecrest South North, but there are lots and lots of incoming freshmen with the same thoughts. The dorm opened for my son’s freshman year, and I remember that he did not care if it were new. He just wanted an honors dorm, so he selected Lakeside West. The following year, he moved to Ridgecrest West, as his roommates had cars and wanted to have better parking. So keep an open mind when looking.</p>

<p>I agree that students need to keep an open mind and consider a backup plan before the room selection process. Housing sets aside rooms for each selection time, but they go quickly. While it may work out fine, if you have too many restrictions such as a certain room on a certain floor you may find yourself out of a room altogether. Keep in mind the large number of freshmen selecting a room and the returning students who have re-contracted. These are exciting times. Good luck to all!</p>

<p>Picture a school of sharks in a feeding frenzy. That’s room selection.</p>

<p>IMHO grab something immediately, then go about modifying if necessary.</p>

<p>LOL…I think that is an excellent analogy malanai.</p>

<p>^very excellent analogy and exactly how it felt last year when our son did housing selection (he had one of the last days for honors students). I agree grab a room in the building you want that has the rooms you need available, and then try and modify from there.</p>

<p>What do you guys mean by modifying? Is there more to the process than just picking a room and pulling in my roommate?</p>

<p>You have the opportunity (for a specific period of time) to swap rooms if one becomes available that you like better.</p>

<p>^^^Yes, just check back periodically when the room selection bar comes on under housing selection and look for an open room. As stated above, sometimes spaces come available in a building you had tried to get in earlier, because of people choosing to attend other universities, finding off campus options, or just changing rooms.</p>

<p>As I recall from last year, students could attempt to change their room or roommates on any of the room selection days/times after their assigned room selection day/time until the room selection period for incoming freshman ended.</p>