Roommate and Dorm Decision

When will we find out what dorm we are in, and who our roommate is?

Two years ago, when my son started, it wasn’t until early June.

Hmmm, okay.

I was wondering because I couldn’t even find an estimated date anywhere on the A&M website.

Since A&M switched to a new housing software last September, called StarRez, it appears you not only will get to choose your dorm (subject to availability) you will also get to choose the open room you want. Up to last year, an applicant would chose up to 5 dorms/room types in order of preference and A&M would place you in one of your choices, subject to availability, and assign your room. Those notifications came out June 1.

Now, that you get to select your room, you likely know right away. Because it is new this year, no one has been through the complete cycle yet.

Apply within 30 days of your acceptance. Room selection assignments are based largely on priority date – which is defined as the date the housing application, including fee, is received. If you wait until after 30 days, you will likely get on campus housing but you most likely not have much of a choice in what is still open.

If it works the same as my others kid’s campuses, You will be assigned a time to register for your housing. Your will log on during that time and select your first choice dorm. if it still have rooms available, you can select the room you want. If that dorm is already full, you will choose another dorm, until you find one with an open room. With the roommate, you request one another through a process that is likely explained in the housing portal.

At one time, there was info online but I cannot find it now. It must have all been moved under the housing portal, which only students can access.

You can read more about it here as well as logging in to the housing portal. https://reslife.tamu.edu/tamu-launches-new-self-service-portal-for-housing-applicants/