Roommate Finder

<p>How does the Roommate Finder on the Housing website work? Is this something my D should fill out a profile for if she’s put in her housing application but is not 100% sure she’s going to Alabama?</p>

<p>You make a little profile which includes major, where you want to live, honors, sleeping habits, neatness, and other things like that. And you can search others from those criteria. It only takes a couple of minutes. Another way to find roommates would be to join the class of 2016 facebook group. It doesn’t hurt to do it.</p>

<p>Tommy: You are being so helpful. RTR!!</p>

<p>haha, I’m trying my best. I got tons of help and advice throughout the whole process so I kinda know what some people are going through! I seriously cannot wait for next fall. RTR.</p>

<p>We cannot find the link for roommate finder. Is it on the UA housing website or on roommate finder website? </p>

<p>Also, did someone say that some honors dorm kitchenettes have a stove top and others don’t? I’m assuming that they all have a microwave.</p>

<p>[Housing</a> and Residential Communities Roommate Finder Home Page](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/roommie/intro.asp]Housing”>http://housing.ua.edu/roommie/intro.asp)</p>

<p>Here is the link for the Roommate Finder website. My DD filled it out on the first or second day that housing deposits were accepted and she has been contacted by a couple of really nice girls that seem like they will fit well together.</p>

<p>They are having some great conversations using FB chat and my DD is asking questions about study habits, neatness, drinking, socializing, minors, majors, music, etc. Oh and asking about Sorority Recruitment. </p>

<p>Being in Honors she is hoping that if she gets one room mate that she sort of clicks with then go with the other 2 as chance it might work out well.</p>

<p>None of the kitchenettes that are within the suites have a stovetop.</p>

<p>However, some of the “common kitchens,” which are on certain floors, have stove tops. The ones in Riverside do NOT (Riverside common kitchens have ovens, though)</p>

<p>All the kitchenettes in the super suites have a full-sized fridge, a sink, and a microwave. There are also cabinets.</p>

<p>Which ones are are the “super suites”?</p>

<p>DD did sign up for roommate finder but found her roommate on the class of 2014 FB page. They really got along well! Both went through recruitment and pledged different houses but still did fine. The girl was from the Jersey Shore but noting like Snookie…in fact maybe a little naive. One suggestion I would make is that the girls worked it out where they both attended the same Bama Bound. Interestingly enough both are Nutrition majors and also share some of the same classes. They didn’t stay in the same room for the night (well actually the roommate did end up spending the night but it wasn’t pre-planned). Both sets of parents got to meet…we coordinated the room and bedding ect (we ordered from PB Teen)…it really was nice and the girls got to bond a little. They never were the best of friends but I think it helped when the arrived for recruitment and all the stress that comes with that process.</p>

<p>AJmicro, we don’t have what other campuses call super suites, which may refer to having more than 4 students in a suite. Our suites are very similar to each other. Riverside, Ridgecrest and Lakeside vary slightly in furnishings and layout.</p>

<p>Our Honors community is housed in Riverside, and parts of Ridgecrest and Lakeside, so those building descriptions would be important to look at. You can check out the building descriptions here:</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm)</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Thanks! It did help.</p>

<p>We call the “Super Suites” the suites that have bedrooms, living rooms, kitchenettes and bathrooms.</p>

<p>We “borrowed” the name from Auburn which calls their similarly set up rooms in the Villages.</p>

<p>Regular suites are bedrooms with a bathroom in between. Super Suites are like small apartments, except that they have kitchenettes and not full kitchens.</p>

<p>So, while Bama Housing may not call them “Super Suites,” here on the CC forum, we do.</p>

<p>The Super Suites are: </p>

<p>Riverside N, E, and W
Ridgecrest…all
Lakeside W and E</p>

<p>There are honors and non-honors Super Suites.</p>

<p>As m2ck mentioned, super suites refers to the amenities rather than maximum suite occupancy.</p>

<p>Friedman Hall (the Business Living Learning Community) is advertised by the Business School as being the original suite-style dorm. As it has a more traditional setup than the Honors and related dorms, there is a need to distinguish it and others with similar setups from the more expensive suite-style dorms.</p>

<p>In my experience, colleges use suite-style to refer to any living situation with ensuite bathrooms, no matter the number of bedrooms or people living in the suite. Technically speaking, what is normally called a traditional setup where the bathroom is “down the hall” could be a suite if the entire area was modified so that residents of the floor could “shut the front door” of the area so that others could not enter. What I will call a traditional suite is what other colleges call a suite; a mixture of single and double occupancy bedrooms, a shared ensuite bathroom, and maybe a lounge area. </p>

<p>UA uses a different classification in that students are billed based on bedroom occupancy and if they are in traditional/traditional suite, Blount (traditional suite), Honors and related suites (includes Bryant), and apartments.</p>

<p>What we on CC refer to as super suites (Honors, Bryant, and related dorms) could be considered efficiency apartments. Due to the interior corridors of these dorms, it is very similar to living in an extended stay hotel. The RAs even host semi-often manager’s receptions in order to give residents a semi-catered opportunity to mingle.</p>

<p>Thanks. That makes more sense. I’m planning on living in Ridgecrest South- North Tower. It looks like it is absolutely amazing.</p>

<p>AJ…did you get your deposits in? or deposit waivers?</p>

<p>No, I have not. Should I get on that soon? (Will it already be full by the time it gets around to me choosing my room?) Deposit waiver?</p>

<p>I would pay my deposit as soon as possible. Ridgecrest South tends to be in high demand, because it is a newer dorm. The earlier you make that deposit, the earlier you have the chance to select your housing.</p>

<p>It’s possible to be pulled in by a roommate who has an earlier choosing date, right? How would that work with a place like Ridgecrest South-NT where there are individual rooms?</p>

<p>Yes, you can be pulled in. You get a roommate code when it’s time to pick dorms. For the individual rooms, you get to pick your specific one. You just use your roommate’s code to pull them in.</p>

<p>^^^ When you pay your housing deposit and when you are on the housing screen in myBama, there is a section of the screen that shows your “code” The person with the highest priority needs to ask all of the people he/she wants to pull in to give them that code to use.</p>