Roommate Finder

<p>D got an email to her Crimson account that the Roommate Finder is now open, so check your email and sign up :)</p>

<p>I hate that all the Housing things start so early everywhere. If you are waiting on scholarships it is really stressful to know that you will be coming into housing late in the game. Does anyone know how many Honors students do NOT get Honors housing? I would hate to be too late to get it.</p>

<p>D also received Roommate Finder email.</p>

<p>what scholarships are you waiting for. if it is the guaranteed scholarships, then you don’t really need to wait. if it is others, you just have to decide whether it is important enough to you to put down the deposit or not.</p>

<p>or are you waiting for scholarship offers from other schools?</p>

<p>@mavs2011 - I’m not an expert by any means, but I recall reading threads earlier this year that it was a little hectic at first, but in the end students seemed to all get housing that they were happy with, and many of these students didn’t deposit until after January.</p>

<p>Mavs2011: A lot depends on what current freshmen/upperclassmen do. Right now, they are filling out applications for their 2011-12 housing. This will tell the residential life personnel how many current freshmen and upperclassmen desire to live on campus next year. They need to have that application in by Feb. 1, 2011.</p>

<p>I hate to base anything on last year’s experience with housing because it seems like each year is getting more difficult.</p>

<p>Last year’s experience was more difficult than the prior year, so it looks like each year is going to be more difficult.</p>

<p>In the end, Bama was able to relieve the pressure for housing last year by delaying remodeling for The Highlands and (I think) by purchasing The Bluff (which is super nice, but not available to freshmen).</p>

<p>Some kids find it easier to find roommates by using the application of Facebook.</p>

<p>I highly recommend Roommate Finder. My son found one of his roommate’s through that, and he is a super kid. His best friend found his roommates through there, and he is also a great guy.</p>

<p>I know a lot of people recommend the Facebook site, but a good number of kids on that site are not honors. The Roommate Finder app allows you to choose major type, honors college, music preference, and smoking preference.</p>

<p>While son got two unknowns enter his suite, the four boys have become great friends. Boys are probably more adaptable than girls, though. I think the girls seemed to have made more use of the Facebook app.</p>

<p>I will say that the suite arrangement makes roommate living a lot easier than it was back when we were in school.</p>

<p>Well I know the amounts for the automatic scholarships, however I am waiting to see if my October ACT will get me more money. If it does not then I will be waiting to hear what other things I may have gotten by filling out the scholarship app, and I won’t know that until the spring. I am perfectly fine with sending in a deposit now, but my parents (who are the ones actually paying) understandably would like to wait. The problem is that every college seems to be starting housing things up now, creating a bad situation for any undecided students or people waiting on scholarships. Maybe my parents will come around, but with instate about ten thousand dollars cheaper per year (and in their opinion better in state schools) it will be hard to put a deposit down unless more scholarships come my way.</p>

<p>that makes sense.</p>

<p>what act score do you have and what do you need?</p>

<p>I have a 29 and need a 30 - makes you wish they could make an exception for being close, so frustrating! If I get a 30 then the cost of UA would only be one thousand more than Clemson, which isn’t that bad. In a perfect world I would get a 32, but I feel like that is not likely! Anyway I was extremely nervous when I took the October ACT, and I’m afraid I let it jeopordize my score, but you never know what might happen.</p>

<p>Good luck, Mavs. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. My D’s friends are in the same boat… so close last time and the waiting is killing them!</p>

<p>fingers crossed for you mavs2011, and all the kids waiting for those important act scores!</p>

<p>hopefully you get what you need!</p>