Roommate question

My son doesn’t know anyone going to A&M in the fall. How do they do roommate selections if you don’t have one picked out? Seems it would be good to try to match up kids that want to party or not, early birds vs night owls and such.

Have him go on Howdy and do the Roommate Selection thing. It is about 10 questions, and a short paragraph about urself. And you can look at others that put similar answers.:slight_smile:

@rosegeo When we filled out the online information in the Housing Portal, my son answered a survey that asked those types of questions. Quiet vs. loud, early vs. late, and that sort of thing. Did you get to do that yet? This was back in December when we registered for his NSC and then secured housing. They also have a roommate finder there, and I don’t know how helpful it is, but it was fun looking at the different profiles and also watching my son come up with his. Did y’all decide to do a LLC or anything? That may also make a difference in who your son decides to room with. I have wondered about this a lot myself.

@rvhappynow I don’t think that he is going to do an LLC. I will have to ask if he filled out a survey when he applied for housing. If so, they probably use that for picking roommates. I would just hate to see him paired up with someone who is partying all the time, particularly late at night.

My son did the engineering LLC, which last year, was only Mosher. They have expanded it to another dorm as well in the commons and I can’'t remember which one of the top of my head. His best friend from high school is also in Mosher and in Engineering but they decided not to live together as roommates, so both boys went random roommate. Reslife did a great job in paring them both based on their preferences on the survey. My son and his roommate, though they get a long well and are respectful of each others things and space, and they had a lot of things in common on paper, they are two totally different personalities. They are not really friends and have their own circles of friends.

My son’s suite mates are more tempered as his roommate. His friend on the other hand, has a similar personality to both of them and so do his suite mates. Going random roommate has been fine for us. It didn’t make a lasting friendship between my son and his, but there are so many others to meet, be it engineering or an elective. He even met a now good friend from film/animation who plays, in the piano room, as son was in there playing.

@Thelma2 Did your son enjoy the LLC? Mine would be going into engineering honors, and I see that they have an engineering honors LLC. ECOS. I have no idea what the primary differences are between the different LLC’s, but it seems like difficult decisions to make. To do it or not to do it. It seems that they decision is really polarized. People either scream “no, no, no!” Or they say it was a great experience. I was thinking about starting a thread on this just to find out what the majority thinks. Thank you in advance for your help!

Honestly, for my son, he really didn’t care where he lived first year because he had no point of reference, so he just picked the LLC. Ihas been a fine experience. It has not blown his mind, nor has it been bad in any way. He probably would have loved a really social dorm but I’m glad he wasn’t in one
:smiley:
I liked the sound of it because it offered some tutoring opportunities, should/when he might need them but he has not gone to them. He has passes to A+ and goes to the Supplemental Instructions (SI’s). They also have a peer mentor on each floor to help with anything, as the transition can be hard. There is sooo much to adjust to.

It really is individual to each person and what their interests are. There is no wrong or right. You would think, oh, they will meet so many people like themselves and these great friend groups that share the same interests. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t. My son has his bf in the LLC plus a few other friends but others come from classes, be it in major or an elective. They also meet people in clubs/organizations outside their major. Most of his friends are outside of engineering.

Sorry, I have been no help. I just can’t tell you do it or don’t. It will not hurt him if he doesn’t want to live in the LLC, nor if he does. How is that for a non answer!! :wink:

It is actually a perfect answer! It makes us all feel better that there really is no right or wrong way to do it. Thank you for so many details! It is a lot to absorbright now, but I can imagine that, in the fall, it can get even more overwhelming. :slight_smile: I also agree with you that it would be nice to have people close by who can help them keep that grade point average up. Thanks again!