ROTC / Corps of Cadets Experience?

<p>Hey guys, if any one you are a current ROTC cadet/midshipmen at A&M, could you please give me a look into how your experience has been thus far. How many days a week do you guys have PT? drill? Any extra classes? Have you enjoyed your experience so far? </p>

<p>@lancer15… If your interested in seeing first hand for yourself, there are several up coming events for corps (JCAP 1/30 and Aggie Eagle 2/27). There are more options via <a href=“http://corps.tamu.edu/”>http://corps.tamu.edu/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My son is a fish in the Corps of Cadets. PT was a minimum of three mornings a week, sometimes more. It’s not unusual to have PT on Friday afternoons or on weekends. PT can be by outfit or company. “Corps runs” where the entire Corps of Cadets goes for a long-distance run at the same time is not unheard of, either. Per my son, PT is the most demanding in the Navy/Marine outfits,followed by the Army outfits, then the Air Force outfits. Marching drills are a couple of times a week. Every weekday starts early (around 5:15 a.m.), unless you get a rare day off from PT. Every weekday morning after PT or marching, there’s formation for breakfast and formation for supper is every evening, Monday through Thursday. Your academic day is yours to congtrol and my cadet used his time to study, nap, exercise, do laundry, etc., when he wasn’t in class. All cadets are in ROTC their freshman and sophomore years and take ROTC classes and labs. If you are under contract to the military or decide to go contract, you will continue with ROTC classes in your junior or senior years. </p>

<p>My son, like many fish, struggled with finding his place during his first semester. He often thought about quitting the Corps (this is VERY common), but he stuck it out and does not regret his decision. Put some effort into checking out the Corps and the various outfits (divided by military branch). Outfits have some autonomy and, as such, are run differently, making for various experiences. There’s a certain amount of “recruiting” that takes place, so my son had decided on what outfit he wanted before his NSC and the outfit held a slot for him. That is working out for him. </p>

<p>The Corps has its’ own advisors, dedicated learning centers, mandatory tutoring for certain math and science classes, and mandatory evening study time for underclassmen. Some things might be a little different next year as the Corps residence halls will be shut for renovations and the cadets will be housed in the Commons for the 2015-16 school year. I have no idea how this will affect routines and daily life for cadets. </p>

<p>If you decide to join the Corps of Cadets, it’s important you develop interests and make friends outside of the Corps. Join clubs, study at the library, work out at the Rec Center, etc. My cadet said time away from “the Quad” was important to maintain his sanity and gave him opportunities to feel normal again. </p>