RPI Class of 2027 Official Thread

Also, thanks to @Paleochick for sharing with me a week or so ago. I guess I have to find that FB group now! :grinning:

1 Like

Iā€™ll see you there! Congrats.

1 Like

So glad they gave us some merit because we didnā€™t anything from USFCA which was kind of disappointing.

What is the vibe at RPI? Collaborative?

They were really friendly when we visited and the campus was nice. I definitely got a collaborative vibe there.

2 Likes

Itā€™s very collaborative - lots of study groups. Many of the freshman are in the same classes, so they form study groups in their dorms. My son, a freshman, hasnā€™t ever said the word competitive while at RPI. He has said itā€™s intense, but the professors have all been really good so far. He even likes his HASS courses. My son has joined 2 clubs that he really enjoys - clubs are a good way to make friends.

1 Like

D23 got into CS
RPI medalist (healthy merit scholarship)
Itā€™s a great school despite admin issues but thereā€™s a new president.
Hopefully, things will get better.
D20 is a junior and loves it (Mech Engg)

2 Likes

Congratulations!
Where did you see the financial award?

Son was accepted tonight with nice merit aide. He loved his tour when he looked last year. Do you have any knowledge of how the ARCH program has been? Saw older threads with concerns but donā€™t know if that has been resolved.

4 Likes

Congratulations on the acceptance! Where did you see the merit award? High stats daughter was accepted. She says she doesnā€™t see anything about merit or financial aid.

My son got accepted too. There are 2 letters. One for acceptance and another for financial award.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. There is currently only one letter (the acceptance). It says to check back as financial aid is still being reviewed. Would merit be there as well? Or was merit part of the acceptance letter?

Merit was in financial aid letter.

Ok. Phew! 4.0/4.7 National Merit Semifinalist, 1560 SAT, 11 dual enrollment college courses. Girl STEM. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

My son was admitted EA yesterday - Biomedical Eng - heā€™s really excited.

4 Likes

Congrats to your daughter. She will do well with the merit award, Iā€™m sure. If she doesnā€™t get the info early this week, have her contact the Financial Aid office via phone (email can take a while). My daughter has similar stats. She will be applying next year (current high school junior). Her brother was an RPI medal recipient and got great merit. Iā€™m very curious to compare my daughterā€™s award, if she gets in.

Fin Aid/Merit phone (518) 276-6813

1 Like

Congrats.

2 Likes

My son is a freshman, so he hasnā€™t had to start working on that yet. We do see all sorts of social media posts about help with Arch. There are regular sessions in the Union about writing a resume, how to hunt for opportunities, etc. It seems the support is there if the students will just go out of their way to receive it. My son can be sluggish, so I have started pushing him to attend some of those sessions, just to plant the seed that this is coming. Look at all of the upcoming Arch Planning Workshops: News and Announcements | The Arch.

The other thing to keep in mind about Arch that my son keeps reminding me about is that doing a Co-op isnā€™t the only option. He really wants to do research, and that would count. From RPI:
There are seven (7) ILE options for the Away Semester:

ILE-Self-Design 
ILE-Study at Another Institution 
ILE-Research 
ILE-Internship 
ILE-Co-Op 
ILE-Civic Engagement 
ILE-International Programs

One last thing to keep in mind, the new RPI president has really done a great job this year connecting with all members of the RPI community (students, parents, alum, the board, ā€¦). He has done a great job really listening to people. In his latest letter, he mentioned that he is now ready to start working on the issues he has been hearing about most. Iā€™ll be curious to see if any changes are made to this Arch program.

2 Likes

Congrats to your son! I was accepted for ME too, got some Merit and Need Based Aid. :grin: With the aid Iā€™ve gotten, RPI is one of my top schools right now!

2 Likes

Did your son choose RPI? How does he like it? Any insight on how the classes are and internship opportunities?

1 Like

Congrats to you! I think RPI and Colorado School of Mines are his top choices right now :grinning:. Of course, he has a mind of his own. Iā€™m going to try to get him to one of the new student events soon. We are from Texas, so itā€™s a hike.

3 Likes