RPI Class of 2027 Official Thread

My son got the leadership award and the early action.
Leadership is for 4 years.
Not sure about early action if it’s for all 4 years.

1 Like

Good point on the early action. I hadn’t considered that.

My son received the early scholarship on top of his other awards. I asked, the early scholarship continues for 4 years. You should definitely ask, though, because this was last year. He’s a freshman.

I will ask. Thanks!

Seems like school is probably trying to attract girls to balance out the population ? Thanks for the insights info about school - for those who posted their experiences

Do you know what students are doing for fun - do they usually stay within the campus.

We visited during holiday break so school is empty. Buildings - from outside looks nice. But we probably need to visit more during student admit day to find out more about the school

Or maybe the poster daughter qualification is just so good to deserve the scholarship.

5 Likes

Can some one please provide a few address of nice areas for restaurants / boba places/ cafe/ramen /etc . A lively area around Troy and Albany ? I am trying to convince my dd that Troy /Albany area is a nice place to spend 4 years on. last time we were there , we didn’t know where to go, and got into gloomy area. We will visit the right place this coming weeks for visitation day . We are from Boston metro. Is there another satellite towns in Albany area that are nice also ? Please provide addresses.

All engineering schools compete heavily for females. It’s a fact. Not even debatable. And that is a good thing. A very good thing.

5 Likes

So far it’s been safe. We are from CA too but we have plenty of relatives in the North East.
Covid years were tough with everything closed but things have improved a lot. My D20 just went on her first ski trip for this year with the ski club (rpiskiclub on IG) and had a ton of fun. They have plenty of clubs. Outing club is the most popular.

1 Like

D23 got pretty close to the same but it included the RPI medal. I’m not sure if the early decision amount of 3k will continue for 4 years. I have to check.
D20 has mentioned that they try to match other competing colleges and try to attract high-stats kids.
This is the cheapest school for us for now because we don’t qualify for FA.

3 Likes

Plenty of clubs. Skiclub, outing club (the most popular), my daughter met some of her friends through outing club. Plenty of ongoing activities and free food to attract the kids. You could check rpi discord to find out what else they do.

1 Like

We are from CA too but my daughter refused to apply to UC’s. She got into 3 other schools and RPI is so far on the top of the list with merit money.
D20 is a junior at RPI and loves it.

2 Likes

T-swirl Crepe and Dr. Milk are good boba places in Latham and Albany. In Troy, there’s Bacchus wood fire grill for pizza. Sunhees farm and grill for Korean food. A place called Bard and Baker has boba I think too in Troy.
D20 and her friends’ frequent boba places in Latham and Albany. We liked Plum Blossom in Troy for Chinese food.
D20 says Argo tea inside the library has good boba tea. Another place called Spill’n the beans for breakfast.
Downtown Troy could be shady in places but D20 always goes with friends. They also have a good farmer’s market when the weather is nice. Hope that helps.

1 Like

My son joined two clubs this year. It’s a good way to learn new things and meet people outside of your dorm. Another fun thing that I’ll recommend is signing your kid up for the NRB Overnight Trips a few days before normal freshman move in. My son made some good connections. All of the trips “sold out,” and a lot of kids were sad they missed out.

1 Like

My son likes to go to Kuma Ani in Troy for ramen, but when he’s in a rush, there’s a ramen place in the Union.

My son and I have spent some time exploring the region. Check out Saratoga Springs, Lake George, The Troy Farmer’s Market (Saturdays), and maybe Cohoes Falls.

1 Like

What are NRB overnights?

They didn’t have NRB during covid. D20 missed out.

1 Like

Just googled it. Those trips look great. My son has a choice to make. For me, RPI and Colorado School of Mines are at the top of his list. It’s his decision. I am trying not to weigh in too much.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t see your question until now. The best part about NRB trips is you get to move into the dorm BEFORE heading off on your trip. The roommate(s) who don’t do NRBs move in a few days after that. You get the added bonus of choosing your bunk first and getting set up before the roommate(s) and their parents arrive. It really is a huge perk. The NRB trips are well-run too.

1 Like

You can’t go wrong with either school. The hike with the rock at Mines seemed like a fun way to start college!