RPI Class of 2027 Official Thread

https://science.rpi.edu/itws/dual-majors

I have a Purdue senior (engineering). She is definitely NOT a number and has had personal connections with professors since freshman year. I’m happy to PM with you if you have any questions.

1 Like

No need. I have my data as well. Happy for your daughter’s experience.

I was responding to 2xcollege who said they were still debating a decision.

Thank you Both. @Steve6 and @momofboiler1

1 Like

HI, Thank you. Yes, would like to keep in touch and get more info from you.

I pm’d you.

2 Likes

Our daughter is accepted at RPI. She also ED to a college in Boston area and was accepted.
However the ED college in Boston tuition is more than what we as a parent willing to pay . It is too expensive for us. If our daughter notify ED college in Boston that her parents is not willing to pay full price for the tuition, can that college force RPI to drop our daughter admitance to RPI also ?
She is now choosing RPI due to the fact that she will not have enough money to cover the full price of tuition in ED college in Boston (because we won’t give her that kind of money) .
If ED college in Boston notify RPI that our daugher bail out from ED agreement, does RPI also drop our daughter even though she is already accepted ?

If the ED school didn’t come through with the financial aid package you were expecting then that is a valid reason for breaking the ED agreement and the college is not going to hold it against your daughter. Furthermore, they won’t even know where else she applied.

1 Like

And that is also true even though based on the ED College, we as a parent are able to cover the full tuition cost ? We are not poor, but we are not super rich either.
If we pay full cost of ED college in boston we are left with 30% of our annual income to eat and pay the bills that is not enough. We do have enough savings , and that maybe what they based their affordability calculation on. But we are not willing to liquidate our investment/ savings to pay for their full tuition. and expenses. So is that enough of a basis to back out of ED ? I guess who decide whether I can afford to pay for full tution ? That ED college or we ourselves ?

Financial reasons are pretty much the only valid reason to back out of ED. I would suggest calling the school she wants to back out of ED and describe the financial situation to them. It’s possible that they will suggest working with the financial aid office to see if they can reconsider the aid offered. If not, they may just tell her that she can decline for financial reasons.
How to Get Out of an Early Decision Agreement – College Reality Check

1 Like

Hi guys! I was the indigenous woman a bit back who got 52.5k in merit and I had a few questions. RPI is looking like one of my top schools right now. Obviously they gave me lots in merit but I recently went to the accepted students day and loved the environment. The campus was gorgeous, everyone was super nice and nerdy (my type of people), and it seemed like the challenging environment I am looking for!

Because of this I have been researching the school, reaching out to students, and reading lots of forums to find what the flaws are that I couldn’t see at accepted students day. The major one I’m finding is the administration. Overwhelmingly the biggest complaint is the problem finding spots in mandatory classes, how professors are only there for the research money and don’t care about their classes, and just how the admins do not care about their students. Most of these complaints I am finding are from 2+ years ago and from the previous president of RPI. Does anyone know if this has been changing, for worse or for better? Also if there’s any unrelated concerns I have not brought up that you know about please lmk that would be beyond helpful. Thank you!

2 Likes

My son is a freshman and has only known the new president. We are both impressed with him so far. He communicates well and seems to be addressing the biggest issues first. I know a handful of the old-guard Board members left right after the old president left. “They” say it was time for some of them to go. Many of the older students like to joke about the previous president. I guess she was a real treat.

I know that in certain departments, they are actively recruiting and hiring right now. Once they have more professors, it should be easier to get the classes you need. Registration is hardest for freshmen who don’t have any additional credit (like AP) coming in - they all compete for the basic physics and math classes. My son came in with a lot of AP credit, and has able to get every class he wanted this year, first try. He leapfrogged over a lot of those tough to get classes because of his credits. I’ve noticed that most kids get what they want eventually, but they need to keep watching full classes for openings as people frequently drop and space is available during registration period. If you aren’t willing to check back frequently and can’t get what you want first try, it’s possible to just take required HASS courses or the biology class you need or the extra science class you need. Have 4-5 schedules in mind before registration day. My son wanted to get into a particular full logic class as a second semester freshman. He emailed the professor and the prof pushed him into the class because he knew him well from Fall Semester. It can take a little effort, so I don’t think it’s as big of an issue as some make it out to be. Just keep trying.

My son has really enjoyed every class and professor he has had so far. He hasn’t had to reach out to them often, but they’ve been responsive. I’m sure there are professors at many schools who are busy and will guide you to the TAs first.

The biggest thing on my radar at RPI is the campus shuttle system. They seem to have an issue keeping it staffed, but I know they are working on it. Luckily, the campus is relatively small. You saw that.

Good luck with your decision.

1 Like

My son and I were at last Saturday’s event as well. We left mid 80s in sunny San Antonio for NY Friday and returned to mid 80s sunny San Antonio at mid-day Sunday. My son loved it despite the snow and cold temps. I think the new President will do wonders for RPI. What is your intended major?

1 Like

Funny enough I was just reading the responses right now. My intended major is computer systems engineering but I’m not set on that. Luckily I grew up in Connecticut so the cold winter does not bother me and honestly I 100% prefer it to the south. I only applied to schools north of where I live.

1 Like

At the engineering session Dr. Anderson highlighted the flexibility of the engineering curriculum.

2 Likes

Got in RD, with 40k in scholarships, regretting not doing the medal junior year because now the coa is 27k :frowning:

Congrats! That’s a fantastic merit award. If you had gotten the Medal, it wouldn’t stack on top of whatever award they did give you, FYI. Good luck with your decision.

2 Likes

Son got in with 30k merit per year!

2 Likes

Congrats!