RSI 2022? Worth Applying?

Is it worth it for me to apply to RSI? I know the selection rate is extremely low (apparently some years lower than MIT itself), so I wanted to know if it’s even worth pursuing.

My Stats:

4.0 GPA UW, 4.633 W, Class Rank 6/515

No PSAT, 1540 SAT (750 M, 790 EBRW)

APs:
Freshman: AP Psych (5)
Sophomore: AP Human Geo, AP Calc AB & BC, AP Earth Science, AP Macroeconomics - All 5s
Junior: AP Physics I, AP US History, AP CSP & CSA, AP Stats

ECs:
Various honor societies: Beta Club, NHS, Science NHS, Math Honor Society
Robotics: Programmer on various robotics teams since 3rd grade (currently my ninth year of robotics)
Boy Scouts: will be an Eagle Scout by the summer
Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) since 6th grade

Awards:
Captain of a State Championship Robotics Team (Worlds Qualified)
Captain of an Inspire Award-Winning robotics team (essentially highest award possible at state level)
6th place nationally at FBLA event
State Champion of FBLA event
AP Scholar with Distinction for sophomore year

I’m concerned that I don’t have nearly enough STEM ECs, so I’m wondering if it’s even worth applying at all. Thank you!

Forgot to include this, but I would appreciate any other summer program recs if you think they would be a better fit for me.

Theres really no reason not to apply. Good to just put yourself out there, because if you don’t try you won’t get in

1 Like

It might be worth it for the experience, but I’d honestly discourage it–even ISEF finalists and International Olympiad participants will occasionally get rejected from RSI, so it’s safe to say lengthy research experience and/or strong performance on STEM olympiads are required to even have a chance. Frankly, based off of what you’ve written, your RSI chances are basically null. I’d encourage you to pursue a camp like SSP that doesn’t care as much about STEM achievements, or an easier program such as BU Rise where your academic achievements might give you a fighting chance.

You might also consider applying to YSPA (https://yspa.yale.edu ) which is similar to SSP.