RSI without ISEF, Published Research, or Olympiads?

Hi folks,

I’m a rising junior and I intend on applying to RSI next year. However, I am somewhat worried due to my activity/research.

So the brunt of my research has been independent, science fair research that I did at home. I created fairly unique prototypes with microcontrollers for the field of X (its not embedded systems but don’t want to reveal it due to doxx fears). The projects were pretty hands on, and took a completely different approach to the field of X than most projects - earning me the respect of judges.

I have several state level awards, scholarships, and honors for these projects, but due to pandemic policies I was unable to qualify for ISEF both years of high school. I also do not have published research since my location is far from any good research university, the field of X isn’t easy to do remote research in, and I did not even know it was a possibility. I have no Olympiad awards either except for ranking high in the local exam for one of USABO/USACO/USAPhO.

My non-research science ECs are basically nonexistent because my school only has one science club (which is hard to break in if you didn’t do it in middle school). I do have strong, non-science ECs and have decent awards in humanities/social sciences though (think FBLA, MUN, National History Day, etc).

Before RSI apps, I’m going to have a research internship in the field of X (it’ll be less involved than a traditional lab experience though) or another STEM field (since RSI requires you to state two fields of interest), but I doubt I can publish a research paper in the field of X before apps are due in early February (the other STEM field I’m considering has relatively fast research/publish speeds of a few months).

I’m thinking about starting a semi NPO/advocacy group related to the field of X, but other than that, my STEM extracurriculars and research looks weak.

My question is, do I even have a remote chance at RSI with good essays/recs? I have a 1600 SAT but ~3.9 GPA (due to pandemic circumstances, I got three Bs in two upperclassman AP science/math not related to the field of X that I would not have gotten in a normal year - I’m getting a guaranteed 4+ on the exams and will have a teacher explain in LOR).

I know what I want to research and why, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to show much demonstrated interest. I think my hands on prototype projects are unique and will give me a ledge in admissions, but the lack of a major award, publication, or Olympiad success truly worries me.

Is this because you or someone in your immediate family had Covid, or is it general pandemic circumstances, like remote school etc. If the former, then an explanation letter is fine. If the second case, I am not so sure - because all students were dealing with more or less the same issues.

As you already know, RSI is a very competitive program. You should apply with what you have, if you think it is worthwhile. You can’t worry about what you don’t have. My kid applied for two competitive research summer programs (not RSI), and got into one of them. He didn’t have any publications, or a perfect SAT score, even though many of the kids who got in did. He worked with what he had, discussed his enthusiasm, spent time on his essays and waited to see what would happen.

I would suggest that you apply to other summer programs as well, and not put all your eggs in one basket.

1 Like

What covid policies prevented you qualifying? There was ISEF this year and I believe that participants from all states “attended”.

The applications are due some time in January.

If you worked with a mentor have them write a letter of recommendation, it might help.

Is this because you or someone in your immediate family had Covid, or is it general pandemic circumstances, like remote school etc

Both - family member got Covid and hospitalized, school cancelled finals thus removing 15% of grades and making other categories worth way more. School admin. also put on a “hybrid” schedule where for most of the year, every class had less than three hours of in class instruction and we missed about a month of school due to snow days, vaccinations, quarantines, etc etc. Every class was really hectic and fast paced, and my grade trend does show that (straight A student before pandemic with a similarly rigorous schedule and all Bs happened second semester sophomore year when we missed most school/had hybrid schedule for the longest).

He didn’t have any publications, or a perfect SAT score, even though many of the kids who got in did. He worked with what he had, discussed his enthusiasm, spent time on his essays and waited to see what would happen. I would suggest that you apply to other summer programs as well, and not put all your eggs in one basket.

That’s comforting to hear! I’ll definitely apply to other programs like SSP and some in-state ones, and utilize my strengths to the fullest.

1 Like

What covid policies prevented you qualifying? There was ISEF this year and I believe that participants from all states “attended”.

Some regional/district fairs couldn’t be held, so the state allowed anyone to submit their projects to the statewide fair (thus making it a bloodbath - a lot more people were present with the same amount of spots for ISEF).

The applications are due some time in January.

Oh, I’ll keep that in mind and double check when they release the 2022 date.

If you worked with a mentor have them write a letter of recommendation, it might help.

Thanks for the idea! If I’m not mistaken, RSI does ask for an optional research advisor/mentor rec and this could help a lot.

So you were able to participate in the science fair competition, but didn’t qualify for ISEF. That makes it harder to argue that it was a strong project.

Another thing that might help is asking established professors/experts in the field X if they would be willing to review your project and send a recommendation. That’s basically a way to short-circuit the long peer-review process for publishing your work. I don’t remember how many additional letters you can send, so it might not work.

1 Like

So you were able to participate in the science fair competition, but didn’t qualify for ISEF. That makes it harder to argue that it was a strong project.

I guess you could say that, but when the regional to district to state qualification process is discarded, there were a lot of filler projects that normally get weeded out - it certainly wasn’t a normal fair this year. I’m not saying that I would have made ISEF 100% if there was a state qualification process, but that I haven’t had a proper science fair year in high school.

I’m not even going to mention this anywhere on the RSI application, but I put it in the post for some additional context as to why I don’t have a Bay Area esque profile compared to admitted students.

Another thing that might help is asking established professors/experts in the field X if they would be willing to review your project and send a recommendation. That’s basically a way to short-circuit the long peer-review process for publishing your work. I don’t remember how many additional letters you can send, so it might not work.

I did not know about this being a possibilty - will definitely check it out and try to contact professors/experts. Thanks.

1 Like

It’s always worth a try. If it doesn’t work, you wasted half an hour for writing a nicely worded email.

2 Likes

I am sorry to hear that. I think the family situation about Covid can be explained by your counselor. Regarding the other school adjustments, that affected everyone. Keep in mind that the research is an EC, and so your academic record is still one of the main pieces of evaluation.

Maybe you’re not doing this intentionally - but I noticed in your initial post that you’re trying to rationalize your shortcomings . Any competitive program, including college admissions down the road, will have thousands of apps to review. There is no time for them to pause and assess the reasons why you got a “B” here and “didn’t get ISEF” there etc. Take the advice from the other poster to submit the research assessment from someone knowledgeable in the field. Showcase your strengths and see how you can best position yourself. You seem to have an open mind and be able to take honest advice. That’s a really good trait!

3 Likes

I noticed in your initial post that you’re trying to rationalize your shortcomings . Any competitive program, including college admissions down the road, will have thousands of apps to review. There is no time for them to pause and assess the reasons why you got a “B” here and “didn’t get ISEF” there etc

I know and I’m aware that they won’t care much - I’m only mentioning the why stuff, or excuses, to give context on the post and as a way to cope with some of the imperfections I’ve accumulated in high school so far. I definitely won’t convey a defeatist and excuse-y attitude on my RSI application.

I also know that admissions for these types of programs are really competitive so I made this post to see if I even had a shot. The replies have been encouraging and have given me a little bit of hope, so I’m going to shoot my shot, highlight my strong points and research, write essays showing my interest in the field I’ve done research in, and spend time applying to other programs as well. Thanks for your detailed replies!

1 Like

Also do keep in mind that rejection from RSI is not a death warrant. Its acceptance rate is ~3%, which pegs it below that of pretty much every U.S. college (yes, even the T20s). Make sure to apply to many more science programs, but life goes on no matter what.