Rugs in dorm room?

<p>My daughter is looking at various rugs for the dorm (she’s counting on Ridgecrest). Do most have a rug in the bedroom? Why or why not? If we get one, I was thinking of it as a Christmas gift……
Thanks!</p>

<p>I believe the floors in Ridgecrest are carpeted. are you looking for something more plush? There’s not a lot of room between the bed and the wall.</p>

<p>An 8 x 8 (not 8 x 10) rug will fit in RCS, but anything larger will cause an issue with the closet doors opening and closing. That pretty much covers the entire floor from wall to wall.</p>

<p>Our D had a rug and she enjoyed it, but I would encourage you not to spend too much on one if you buy one. Keep in mind you’ll have to move it in and out and find a place to store it over the summer. Many/most students move off campus after freshman year, and she may not use it if she moves off campus.</p>

<p>we didn’t get one- Lakeside East</p>

<p>My D is in her second year in Ridgecrest West and she has not had a rug. I’m sure her thought process is that it’s one more thing to vacuum (not that that happens often).</p>

<p>mine just had a small rug for some color. 3.5x5.5 or so. </p>

<p>a rug is not necessary and kinda gets in the way.</p>

<p>D does not have one in Ridgecrest South. She originally wanted one but could not find the color she wanted. She stated recently she was really glad she did not get one; she liked the floor the way it is and would have only been more to keep clean. Of course, we vacuumed the carpet very well before she moved in.</p>

<p>I would wait to buy one. Target and Walmart usually have a variety for a bargain before school starts.</p>

<p>She wants something soft to sprawl out on… I’m thinking the carpet in the dorms is nasty and it would be a good thing to have a rug? But the vacuuming aspect does make me wonder! She’s not big on cleaning regularly :smiley: Thanks for the input about rug size. I think she really just wants color and plushiness and to feel a little homey.</p>

<p>there’s not a whole lot of room to sprawl out on- haha…I would definitely wait or buy something that can be returned…</p>

<p>My D has a 5x8 rug that she has used every year (she’s a junior). Sometimes she puts some of the dorm furniture on the rug to make it fit. She has used it in Riverside and Ridgecrest South. This year she is in a single, so she put it in her living area instead of the bedroom.</p>

<p>My D bought a 4’ 4"x6’ 5" rug from Ikea for her bedroom. Her and her roommates liked it so much that she asked me to go back and buy another one for their shared living area. The smaller size fits beautifully in her room in RCW. Just big enough to fill the space between the bed on one wall and the desk on the opposite.</p>

<p>The rooms in RCW are carpeted with carpet tile, so you have to vacuum anyway. She didn’t see the rug as being any more work. She had the same thoughts as your D, wanted to make it more homey and have a comfy place to sit on the floor.</p>

<p>If you live near an Ikea, they have quite a few inexpensive rugs to choose from. These are the two that we purchased:
[GISLEV</a> Rug, low pile - IKEA](<a href=“Products - IKEA”>Furniture - Shop Furniture Online & In-store Near You - IKEA)
[url=&lt;a href=“Products - IKEA”&gt;Products - IKEA]L</a></p>

<p>Presidential is carpeted BUT we got a soft rug because I know my daughter loves to lay on the floor and do homework.
We spent way to much time looking for one and wound up finding a great super soft, easy to vacuum, one at Target in Tuscaloosa.
Side note~the carpet at PV is so annoying to vacuum! Every little thing sticks to it.</p>

<p>If you live near an Ikea, they have quite a few inexpensive rugs to choose from. These are the two that we purchased:
GISLEV Rug, low pile - IKEA
L</p>

<p>Hi we got an 8x8 rug from Home Depot and had it shipped. it was not that expensive and it was a beige shag. I think it’s essential because that way they can sit on the floor and not feel “grossed out”. The closet door was still an inch or two hard to open but you could always cut off part of the rug that will be under the bed against the wall.</p>

<p>My S bought the IKEA Gislev rug his incoming Fr year (last year). It tended to curl at the edges a bit and get in the way of rolling desk chair, so he hated it. He said he ended up lending it to roommate this year instead (but who knows where it actually is?!). For the price, tho, can’t go wrong!</p>

<p>My DD loves having her rug in her room because WHO KNOWS when the last time the carpets were cleaned in the dorm rooms. Just Sayin’ :)</p>

<p>The carpet squares in Ridgecrest East are rough and nasty. </p>

<p>There was sticky gum in the carpet right where DD stepped out of bed. I tried everything, including freezing it with an ice cube, to remove it, but it remains. Got a small soft fluffy bath mat to cover it up. Works fine.</p>

<p>My DD loves having her rug in her room because WHO KNOWS when the last time the carpets were cleaned in the dorm rooms. Just Sayin’ </p>

<p>I was so hoping they changed the carpet tiles! Yuck! We are definitely getting a rug!!</p>