Rumor Has It - And I Should Know Better Than To LIsten To Rumors

<p>Rumor has it (and I know, never listen to rumors) that some selective colleges have a more liberal acceptance rate for nursing students than for BA students. </p>

<p>I have heard of kids getting into Georgetown and BC through the nursing programs who's stats would never qualify for a BA program. </p>

<p>True?</p>

<p>Programs I'm curious about:</p>

<p>BC
Georgetown
Emory
Penn
Michigan</p>

<p>Will if you look at the stats, which aren’t always completely correct, last year BC’s overall acceptance rate was 31%, their nursing school acceptance rate was between 37-38%. It’s about the same for Georgetown, but some school’s nursing programs are much more difficult to get into than the regular programs so it really varies.</p>

<p>I think that the admissions people at selective schools are on the look out for applicants who are not really interested in Nursing. The stats may be a tiny bit lower but applicants need to really show that they want Nursing. There is also the issue of a smaller class size with the standard desire to be diverse - so if they have already taken 2 Asian cheerleading champions from New Jersey and you are the 3rd you may be out of luck in a admitted class of 80 - 100 students.
Emory doesnt have a 4 year direct admission nursing program.</p>

<p>Neverhappening, where did you find the statistics on BC’s nursing school acceptance rate?</p>

<p>A guidance counselor of mine emailed me these stats, most likely she called in to bc and contacted admissions because they aren’t online anywhere.</p>

<p>And I very much agree with shanghaiMom, nursing schools want to see that you volunteered at a hospital or were involved and were interested in the nursing/medical field.</p>

<p>The Boston College acceptance rate from our high school is 22%. We’re at a very competitive high school, and colleges are known for not wanting to take too many kids from one area (unless, apparently, it’s an East Coast boarding school, but that’s a different discussion). My daughter does want to be a nurse, and is involved at the hospital. Her grades are good, but not astounding. The average ACT/GPA for BC from our school is 3.9 and a 32ACT. Ouch!</p>

<p>^^^^^
Time to move to another High school :)</p>

<p>Does that stat include nursing majors? It could be a little different if applying to nursing? But who knows</p>

<p>I don’t know if or how many nursing school students are included in those stats. That’s what I’m trying to figure out!</p>

<p>I visited Umich a few weeks back to look into their nursing program.
The lady we talked with said that their admissions stats are right on par with the regular school admission.</p>

<p>In most major universities with BSN Programs the number of freshman BSN slots available is relatively small compared to the overall Freshman class. For example, at the University of Delaware the Freshman class is around 3500 but there are only about 130 slots for BSN nursing applicants. At UD the overall acceptance rate for OOS students is about 42-48%. The acceptance rate for OOS applicants to the BSN program is only about 20-25%. At UD, at least, it is much more difficult to get accepted into the BSN program as compared to most other majors. Nursing is becoming an increasingly popular major for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the relatively high starting salaries nurses can obtain following graduation compared to many other college majors.</p>