Running start

I am currently a sophomore and thinking about doing running start next year, I eventually want to get my bsn in nursing or go to med school. will doing RS allow me to transfer right into a bin program or pre med program?

For nursing:

There are two types of BSN programs…direct entry and not direct entry. For the not direct entry, you could do a science/Bio track. Look at what is required for nursing programs and take those classes. Then you apply to get into the nursing program for the last 2 years. Make sure you get A’s because it is very competitive.

For pre-med:

Medical schools prefer you don’t take all your pre-reqs at a CC. But if you must then make sure you continue to do well once you get to the 4 year school in the other pre-reqs you take.

I had to look it up. In some states, “running start” is a program that allows high school students to take some college classes. I assume that is what you mean. In any case, it is helpful to get some college credit for free, and to show colleges that you can handle college level work. It should help with college admissions to any program, assuming you do well, and don’t overextend yourself.

Usually you are not “accepted” to a pre-med program. You usually start out taking lots of bio and chemistry, and if you do not do well in them in college, someone may be honest with you, and suggest you pick a different career path. Each year, tens of thousands of students apply to med schools and are not accepted to any med school. Many students take extra classes after college graduation while they keep applying to med schools each year.

Nursing offers a much more predictable and less debt-burdened path than pre-med, and allows people to enjoy their 20s.

At my son’s college, a student was not even allowed to officially declare a major until their fourth semester, after they had successfully completed courses in that major.

As noted above, some colleges accept nursing majors straight out of high school, while others tell students to start as a bio major, and then they apply later for acceptance to nursing. Direct entry programs are preferable, because they reduce the uncertainty. However, direct entry programs are not common in some states.