Rutgers vs UMD vs SCU for CS

Make the right decision for you. A magazine shouldn’t impact that decision. Fit, finances, career outcomes. Those are things to look at.

A rank doesn’t get you a job or specific outcome. It sells magazines.

Thanks! I think you cannot go wrong with either Rutgers or UMD.

There are differences. This statement is often made here at CC, but will never be made by anyone who knows both the departments. Not that something can go wrong with one of them. But definitely there is a choice to be made.

Programmer here. CS is a degree that’s ridiculously employable. There’s absolutely no need to move to Maryland just for in-state tuition when Rutgers is a perfectly viable in-state school. That’s like trying to decide which shotgun will best kill an ant :slight_smile: It doesn’t matter. Either will do fine. In fact, after 3 years experience, employers don’t even ask where you went to school. Credentials are 99% hands-on experience. If he goes to Rutgers and gets good grades, I promise he’ll find a job. If he took 2 levels of a coding language and demonstrated proficiency, he could find an entry level job somewhere.

Here on CC, if you say college A is better than college B, some people mistakenly think B is being dissed, and being called a “not good” college. In reality, A and B can both be good but one of them can be better at least in a particular context.

4 Likes

Well said. I think we are a very special case here. Actually I have been working in Maryland for a while, even before the application started, and my wife and my son will move to Maryland this summer to join me. So we are not moving to Maryland just for in-state tuition. UMD and Rutgers are both in-state schools for us.

3 Likes

Best of luck to your son :slight_smile:

I hear Rutgers’ campus is spread out and you have to take a bus for minimum 20 min to go to other buildings. is this legit?

1 Like

It’s actually 4 campuses and yes they bus. The first couple of weeks in the semester can be messy, and they need to keep in mind travel time in between classes. If they have cars they can pay for a permit on one campus but can’t drive from campus to campus. Commuters also get one permit and have to use buses as well.

Yes, classes are spread on 4 different campuses and you need to take buses from one to the other, which makes for less of a “campus” and make the logistics of going to class a big headache.

@slalg, if you have further questions you should start your own thread rather than take over someone else’s.

OP @Zephyr3 - what was your final decision?

1 Like

OPs son committed to MD upthread.

1 Like

I see. Thanks.
I can’t seem to find that. But good for OP.

Sorry.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.