S21--not an easy path, happy to get some input at this stage

She CAN become a nurse! Set your sights on community colleges, public 4 yr colleges, and private 4 year colleges in your area that are not highly competitive, that have RN or BSN programs. There are TONS of them. Your goal is to get her into a direct admit program, so that she won’t have to achieve a certain level in math prerequisites at college in order to get into the nursing program. If she is direct admitted, they’ll let her squeak by with lower math grades in the nursing program. But if she has to do prerequisites before being admitted, and does poorly in math, she’ll have trouble. Meanwhile, choose whether you are targeting the SAT or the ACT, and have her start prepping for the math, especially.

There are a LOT of small, not very competitive private colleges with BSN programs. And a LOT of state colleges that are also not very competitive, with BSN programs. Go for the direct admit, and she’ll wind up getting her degree, and becoming a nurse. It’s time to start looking now, for a junior. Maybe you should post a thread looking for advice on this specifically, and locally.

8 Likes

Fortunately, we are in Pennsylvania, which has over 50 direct entry BSN programs, many of them at small private schools which are not terribly competitive, though more competitive for nursing than for other majors. Ohio and New York also have quite a few. Some have been test-optional for Class of 21 graduates, but may not be so for Class of 22. I’m trying to get my daughter to seriously prep for the math portion of the SAT she is scheduled to take in May. She’s set up a Khan Academy account, now needs to start using it on a regular basis.

2 Likes

Please send me a private message.

There are 68 BSN programs in PA, about half public. Many are not very selective. And when you expand the field to neighboring states, there are literally HUNDREDS of programs. She can DEFINITELY achieve her goal. Nursing is about being compassionate, conscientious, organized, efficient, competent, and able to work with a team. The math required for it is not as high level as one might think.

1 Like

@kidzncatz, if your D is interested in nursing and is a B student, check out Cedar Crest College in Allentown, PA. Very solid direct entry nursing program, terrific college for a B student. Good merit aid. Cedar Crest is an all women’s college on the undergrad level, coed on the grad level. Cedarcrest.edu

2 Likes

i’ve looked at Cedar Crest. Direct entry to their nursing program requires a 1080 SAT (or 22 ACT) and a 3.5 GPA by the end of the junior year in high school. I don’t think my daughter will qualify. She could probably get into their pre-nursing program, but I’d much rather that she get into a direct entry program.

What is the name is the new thread?

College Search for C+/B- student

3 Likes

Team Roanoke! :grinning:

“we’re concerned that after S21’s first year we’re back to one kid in school and, potentially, a big shift in cost at Roanoke.” - It’s good to consider that factor.

Also others with much younger kids should note that FAFSA advantage for multiple students in college will be disappearing - ttps://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/your-money/fafsa-changes-college-aid.html (not all schools use FAFSA - some use CSS Profile)
implemented July 2023 (?) - https://www.kiplinger.com/personal-finance/credit-debt/loans/student-loans/602186/fafsa-application-changes-are-coming

1 Like

Warning: long post ahead.
It’s decision time and so I’m taking this opportunity to outline a lot of choices and decision-making that happened. It seems a number of people find this thread helpful and hopefully this information is helpful too.
I’m sure I’ll be around to chat more on this but the big stuff is done for now.

He’s going to Roanoke. :grinning: Or as we say around here, he’s starting at Roanoke. All along we’ve talked about him just finding the right place to start. No one knows where the path goes from there but you have to start somewhere. He found his somewhere.

I couldn’t be more excited about this or more proud of him throughout this whole process. He’s one big example of the “How it started; How it’s going” meme but in reverse as his picture has improved.

A year ago his Executive Function coach started a conversation with him about what he wanted to do with his life and then how college might fit into that in order to try to reach him–to try to get him to think beyond high school. Because he was drowning in high school. He was trapped by his own history. Saying out loud that he wanted to teach and accepting that meant college changed him. He had given up on saying goals out loud because he was tired of failing. By the end of junior year he had a 2.5 GPA in non-honors classes, which was an upswing from the previous year, and low expectations.

So we started to explore. He’s one of the kids the pandemic’s impact on school helped. He had control over his time and no one watching, always checking in. For him, that was a gift.

We looked high and low, big and small, near and far. We only looked at places that looked possible even while he knew nothing was probable for him. He figured out a lot about himself through the process. What’s okay with him, what isn’t. How to talk about it. And he kept his eyes on the prize–what could come beyond high school.

He never sat for an SAT (5 cancelled attempts), I never saw his essay (he only showed his coach), but he started to do the work at school. Really do the work. And success begets success. Through the first half of senior year he has a 3.5 GPA and his overall GPA has gone up to a 2.7. That’s a B-freaking-minus! Considering the two D+ grades he ended sophomore year with in English and Geometry, you can begin to imagine the pride he feels in himself.

Here’s what happened with colleges:
7 acceptances–in order of net cost low to high
Wichita State
Hartwick with $34K per year in merit
LaSalle with $12K per yer in merit
Keene State with $4K per year in merit
Roanoke with $19K per year in merit (after requesting they shift FA to merit)
Western New England with $15K per year in merit
Xavier with $16K per year in merit
1 deferral to RD
College of Charleston–still outstanding
1 denial
Salve Regina

Choices!! The glory of choices. Do you know how long it’s been since he got to choose something related to school rather than being presented with a plan? So, so long.

So how did he make the choice?
Wichita State–he really liked everything he saw but realized in his heart of hearts he didn’t want to be that far away at a school that big
Hartwick–he started out positive on this school but every further interaction, combined with his growing confidence, said to him that this could feel like high school 2.0 and he doesn’t need that anymore
LaSalle–he was drawn to the number of schools to potentially student teach at near campus but as soon as Roanoke gave him similar information, he eliminated LaSalle
Keene State–5 or 6 of his friends have been admitted (not sure any are going yet) and if he decided he needed to know people from home at college, this would be the school for him; and then he decided he didn’t need that, that instead he wanted a chance to start over
Western New England–this was choice number 2 and the one he holds out as, if he ever needs to transfer, he’ll look there; not getting direct admit into education was a downside here as “I don’t want to wait a year to find out I don’t want to teach, then what do I do?”
Xavier–if there was no Roanoke this would be in competition with WNE for his “away” option and it’s a rival to his brother’s university so tempting bragging rights during Big East basketball. But there is a Roanoke so…
College of Charleston–doesn’t feel the need to wait for an answer because he’s in love now

So he chose Roanoke. For the location and the people and the approach to required classes and the challenge and the support and the campus and the options for teaching 5 different types of high school science and maybe learning German and living on campus all 4 years and the “rightness” of it all for him.

For the past week he’s said “I can’t picture myself anywhere else but I’m not ready to commit yet.” Why? He didn’t really know. Afraid that something would pop up that made him think another choice was better. Afraid none of his friends had committed yet and so maybe he was moving too fast. Just nervous. It’s a big _____ deal. So we waited. And last night he told us about the find your roommate app he’d been on all weekend and while he’d probably go random (we feel pretty strongly about that in our house) it gave him a chance to see other kids who were going to go. Outside of admissions and tour guides and a sanitized environment. And he felt like he could find his people among them. He also told us that he’d tried the choice out at school last week with some faculty–telling them it was his first choice. His English teacher said she was a Richmond alum and had been to Roanoke several times and she thought it would be a great place for him. The Athletic Director said his best friend from high school went. And another smile from another teacher who asked if he knew about Mac&Bob’s yet. The place just off campus where we had lunch last weekend. A school staple. This is also safety and confidence. He was expecting, at best, a polite nod and smile. But he got encouragement.

So he decided it’s the right place for him to start. I couldn’t agree more. It won’t be easy. But the best things never are.

57 Likes

Tears flowing down my face. From one Mom to another, I’m thrilled beyond belief. I’m proud of you and your wonderful son. And I’m grateful I had the chance to witness your journey.

Huge congrats. And huge hugs!

10 Likes

Congratulations!!! I am so glad that he is at peace with his choice!!! Take a deep breath mama, good job.

A few yrs back my daughter ending up picking the late-to-the-party dark horse school 1200 miles away. We took a last minute trip and both knew within 5 minutes that it was a strong contender. It checked every box on her list and so many more that she didn’t know she wanted. Her 4 yrs there were life changing! I asked her just last week what ultimately pushed her to choose it and she said,”I just knew that if I didn’t give it a chance I would always regret not knowing what could have been.”

8 Likes

Congratulations to all. Thanks for sharing this wonderful journey with everyone at CC. Wishing your son all the best at Roanoke!

3 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS for the successful journey and the decision, congrats to him also for growing so much and thank you for letting us follow along and learn from his journey. :slight_smile: :clap:

2 Likes

@luvtoscrap23 I’m curious - what was the school?

CONGRATULATIONS! Thank you for sharing the journey. This is the kind of thread I bookmark so I can revisit for a guaranteed happy ending.

3 Likes

Stetson University in FL :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

That was on our list. Didn’t make the cut, however we never visited. Maybe a visit would have moved it up on his list.

1 Like

@luvtoscrap23 ”I just knew that if I didn’t give it a chance I would always regret not knowing what could have been.”

That’s it, right there. My older son had a similar experience in choosing Butler. Life changing for him as well.

3 Likes