S21--not an easy path, happy to get some input at this stage

Roanoke is the college I would be interested in exploring more. However, we are also in MA and I do not know how far he is wanting to go. It may be too far, but we would be willing to consider as it is still drivable. My S24 is also wanting to teach, at this time, and I do worry about licensing from out of area schools. I will worry about that later though. I am also more interested in Western New England. I had never heard of it before, but it may be a good fit. Lastly, La Salle in PA. DH is from PA so we would consider PA schools. I don’t know how S24 feels about the city. He runs track and we would go into Boston for track meets before COVID, and he was not a huge fan. There’s time for him to grow and change though.

Schools that were on your list and on ours so far are:

Westfield
Endicott
Keene State
Roger Williams

On his list is UMass Amherst. We have already talked to him about UMass being a reach, but if we visit and he wants to apply, we will let him. Maybe it will be easier for teaching or undecided to get into rather than Business or Engineering. A LOT of students from our town go there, so that is a pro and a con. If he really wants that type of environment, URI may be a better fit.

A few others that were not on your list that we may be interested in are:

Springfield College
Eastern Connecticut State College
York College in PA

We have a year or so before we really need to dive into this, but I have learned a lot reading these threads and look forward to the process.

Roanoke really does sound like the perfect fit for your DS academically and socially. Club soccer really does sound like a win-win situation. Good luck to him and you. Thanks again for sharing your journey!

2 Likes

Consider U of Hartford. Good education program, excellent student teaching opportunities in the area, decent pay for teachers in CT, usually gives significant merit money.

Endicott College.

If you’re looking at CT state colleges, also look at CCSU. Strong education program. They’ll offer merit money, but you’d still pay less in-state in MA, I think.

If you’re willing to look at LaSalle, consider Cabrini in Radnor, and Ursinus in Collegeville.

Make sure to add in an in-state safety public school with a strong ed major, as a financial safety.

4 Likes

Safety in MA could be Bridgewater State and you mentioned Westfield. Salem State too but Salem is somewhat urban and I think housing is limited. Most of the PA state schools started out as teachers colleges and some of them still market themselves as having strong programs. YMMV since they are in a state of financial flux. Another MA school to consider is Assumption.

1 Like

Have you checked out Wheaton College in Norton MA? Have heard some really good things about it but don’t know if it offers education degrees

^Is this for another poster? Ubumble’s son has enrolled at Roanoke. :smiley::+1:

1 Like

Yes, a poster above discussed the usefulness of this thread and was looking for schools for her son. Sounds like frogger73’s child is on a similar path :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Maybe Roanoke will be the right school for them too!

2 Likes

Please direct any additional posts to the OP.

@Frogger73 Please start your own thread if you want additional suggestions.

1 Like

Have you considered a post grad year at a supportive boarding school like Cushing, Forman or Proctor? Forman is also offering a “gap year” program in Maine that I believe is 10 weeks and focuses on EF and building confidence.

The OPs son had a very successful admission cycle and has accepted a spot at a college that appears to be a wonderful fit.

5 Likes

I can’t wait to hear how your S21 likes it at Roanoke. I feel a little off-put by the prevalence of greek life but like how they market their academics (fits my S22 mindset). My D22 likes Hollins next door. I’m going to pm you in the future if you don’t report back!

2 Likes

@UCDProf I hear you on Greek life. It’s not something my S21 is interested in and so he asked about it at every school. The response at Roanoke made sense to him and felt believable (asked our tour guide—a purple haired creative writing major and she said it’s something that’s either a major part of your experience there or it’s a non-event).

He’s also got the example of S18 at Butler. That school is 40% Greek and it’s everywhere. Even with that, S18 has found a comfortable social life without pledging or spending time at Greek houses.

Interestingly both schools also wait to hold pledge week until second semester so that first years have the chance to experience everything about the school without heading right into Greek life. I think that’s probably reflective of the overall sentiment on both campuses.

In meeting folks during the roommate match up time-frame he said he pretty quickly saw those that were all about it and those who never showed interest. Seemed like enough kids in the latter camp to make him happy.

Now Wichita State on the other hand has been a hoot! All summer he’s been getting texts from frat presidents about joining when he arrives. :joy: 1) he’s not arriving and 2) they couldn’t be further off in their targeting…

4 Likes

How many kids are into Greek Life at Roanoke? Do you have any rough percentage like you did with Butler?

It’s about 20%. More women than men.
One thing to note, from what we understand many of the athletic teams act essentially as frats/sororities (live together on same floor of dorms, eat together, socialize together) and so most of those kids don’t pledge Greek too. This likely keeps the Greek numbers down.

3 Likes

That’s not too bad. My D22 is definitely not into Greek life, but I think she could deal with it being around if it wasn’t overwhelming. Doesn’t sound like it would be.

1 Like

@UCDProf , my son graduated from Roanoke College last year and was not into the Greek life on campus at all. Never attended a party, never felt pressured to do so. He found his group of friends who had similar interests and really loved his four years there. I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about Roanoke College.

5 Likes

S21 did the final accommodations call this morning before he left for work. Said everything was approved and all set and is clear on next steps.

He knows it’s his responsibility to meet with each professor at the start of every semester to work with them on how to bring those accommodations to life.

I told him that, as someone who’s been on the other end of those professor/student meetings, I’d be happy to practice with him if he wanted. He said “I’m good. These meetings are a good excuse for me to meet each of them anyway and I know I need to do that to start the class off right.”

He’s definitely ready for this. Whether he’s academically prepared is a different question but he’s got the right mindset for the first time in….ever. The rest will figure itself out. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

19 Likes

Thanks @123France ! It looks like Roanoke and Knox are similar at least in how they portray themselves.

I’m concerned everywhere about social life for my S22 non-drinker (pretty sure it’s going to stay that way) who also hasn’t had great social success at his small high school. I feel like social life is a crapshoot at a small place, but I could be wrong. His HS is a commuter school and that’s the opposite of an LAC.

And, he’s got academic challenges ahead because he hasn’t been challenged in HS and he doesn’t read (out in the open waters of CC I’ll be told he should go to trade school, but I know plenty of kids at top schools even Ivies who would never dream of reading a book if they didn’t have to. It’s so common these days).

So I guess my main 2 questions are about how common is it to be left out socially or what does it feel like to be non-mainstream (which is something that might be able to be observed even if it wasn’t personally experienced) and how difficult is the grading (since he’ll need, and will qualify for, a merit scholarship that will have to be kept) at Roanoke?

On the grading this is a concern only for the first year of adjustment.
[I don’t know how many people read this thread any more, but please, others, don’t lay into me about grading. I know what I’m asking and why and I don’t believe in your beliefs about grading]

I loved reading your son’s journey!

4 Likes

@UCDProf on the merit side, one of the things we were very relieved to see is that Roanoke only requires a 2.0 to maintain merit awards. This was/is a real consideration for us.

8 Likes

One week in and his experience is solid at Roanoke.
He and his roommate will be a good pairing even if not close friends at the end of the year—which is what we’ve always emphasized the goal to be. Classes look good so far. He’s got the right mindset and is focused on the right things. Already has time set up for early next week during office hours for each Prof. And he’s playing club soccer which feels like the right combination of competitive and not all-consuming that he wants. Plus the physical activity is good for his mental health.
The down sides? Big adjustments like this are really tough for true introverts. He wants to have his 4-5 close friends already and that’s not how it works. He has no interest in drinking and so the first week of college is going to be hard because that’s the scene until classes really get into gear.
He’s doing all the right things but that takes time and it can be exhausting if the behaviors (introducing yourself to someone, making sure to get and stay out of your dorm room) aren’t what come naturally to you.
Trying really hard here at home to not ride the highs and lows with him and instead just maintain a steady response of “tell me more about that.”
Here’s to week two!

31 Likes