S24 missed NM Commended by 1 index point (206)

For what purpose, though? From the letter the OP posted, it sounded like they were sharing the data prior to and separately from the actual application process. The wording made it sounds like it was potentially for recruitment purposes (like the College Board sends info about students taking the PSAT/SAT to colleges), although I haven’t personally heard of the UCs doing that. ucbalumnus speculated that it was being shared to get the next baseline and that makes sense to me. Were you told that it was being shared for purposed of applying? That’s surprising to me because, if so, it’s odd that some schools don’t do it. And it would also be redundant since the top 9% status automatically gets added to the application at the time of submission anyway Confusing.

Our letter was different. I signed it and turned it in so don’t have a copy. It was specifically for top 9% at the high school and stated that receiving the letter didn’t mean that the student would actually end up in the top 9% after junior year grades were submitted.

The HS submitted what they were asked for. If there is redundancy, it is the fact that the UCs have both a statewide path and a local path. The HS asked for consent, because many families ask for their information to not be shared without notification and permission.

Yes, the letter explained what ELC was and that, if our student were to end up in the top 9%, they would be guaranteed a spot in one of the UCs. It even specified that it was likely Merced.

3 Likes

The pdf, that a twoin18 shared above, clears up some questions. I had never seen it before. Very helpful info.

1 Like