Sad news from UW

<p>I recall reading some of her articles from the Cardinal.</p>

<p>Campus</a> mourns death of well-loved student (Feb. 2, 2010)</p>

<p>Just read this on the UW site. So sad/tragic.</p>

<p>Accepted students- get your meningococcal vaccine before coming to campus next fall! Though rare, young previously healthy adults do die of this disease. Don’t know this young woman’s immunization status, but that’s what she had. Also she lived in an off campus apt, it is not only dorm living that is a risk factor.</p>

<p>I am saddened to hear about this and my thoughts are with her family. Good advice from Wis75. I’ll make sure my son addresses all of his vaccines this summer.</p>

<p>The UW held a very nice ceremony for her family. Giving her parents her diploma was a classy touch. </p>

<p>[The</a> Daily Cardinal - A dear friend passes on](<a href=“http://www.dailycardinal.com/news/a-dear-friend-passes-on-1.1114100]The”>http://www.dailycardinal.com/news/a-dear-friend-passes-on-1.1114100)</p>

<p>So sad for all who knew this young woman. How difficult for her family and friends.
With my first going off to college this fall, I too have worries about many things. This is one thing that we have taken steps to prevent, but you never know.</p>

<p>It is very wise to obtain the current meningealcoccal vaccines. The disease is often identified so late, and comes on so fast. It’s treatable early, yet treatment success drops quickly over time. Keep in mind that the vaccines are not 100% protective (they don’t cover all strains of MC), but do cover common strains. Google up the vaccines and look over the back ground noise on the vaccine, or check the FDA site. I’m not sure why most states don’t require these vaccines with informed consent and opt out.</p>

<p>I had my teens vaccinated three years ago already due to the death in our town of a HS student who shared a common punch bowl at a party. Many of us carry MC as part of our oral bacteria yet dont’ become self-infected. Repetitive dipping of one’s cup into the punch bowl may cause others who are not immune to the strain to pick it up. Those shared football and basketball Gatorade pull up nozzle bottles should be outlawed too at school sport events: tell me people’s mouth parts don’t touch the nozzle. I’ve spoken to many a couch and they just look at me with blank stairs.</p>

<p>Very sad to read of this students passing and my condolences to the family and friends.</p>