Safe or Lockable Trunk in the Dorms?

<p>We put a safe on the list for gifts from family that would be needed for a graduation gift for D. No, they have no need to take their birth certificate and most def no their ss card. If you lose that ss card it is a PITA to get replaced. Those 2 items can stay home as there will never be a need for them to have that at school. Their drivers license is about it. Things that will be kept in the safe for my D would be her passport (which she really won’t need at school), a second set of car keys (she won’t be carrying a set around with her anyway as she won’t be going anywhere much, some cash, jewelry, and anything else of value.</p>

<p>Like said, it is not the roommate but their friends or if the door forgets to get locked or closed all the way. Their friends and such are not always going to be trustworthy. Plenty of good kids take advantage of crimes of opportunity. If it is sitting there then some get an itch and sometimes will take items left out. Better to be safe than sorry.</p>

<p>Thanks posters for offering up two options for the safes! My niece had commented over Christmas break that her roommate was stealing her socks - and that she could use a safe just for those. I guess you never know…</p>

<p>Hummmm, blueslipper, maybe that is why my son came home without any socks!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>