Safety on and off Campus

My other son’s school (UVA) had an outbreak of violence (specifically gun violence) at the beginning of this school year. Campus safety has become paramount when deciding on a college for our second child. Can anyone give me any insight into Columbia and their relationship with the University? Thx

Did you find out any info on campus safety? I am also concerned. My daughter is down to Baylor and UofSC. Totally dofferent vibes.

I spoke with a friend who has a son there and has had zero issues. I also have a college roommate who lives sorta close to
there and says a lot of drugs in Columbia. ( not surprising as they are everywhere). She said that you need to be careful but also had not heard of any major issues.
UVA had a gun issue and after much investigation I found out that Charlottesville had reallocated funds from the drug task force and sniper unit to other areas. The result was the “ gangs” in the housing project moved further out toward the campus. We live in another state and I was worried sick. One student was grazed by bullet… a couple incidents of drive by shootings into college bars. It all stopped when UVA hired 2 police officers to monitor the “corner” much to the dismay of some students. It was kept quiet but the alumni association got involved and changes were made. My son decided on Clemson - good luck.

Wow, that is crazy about UVA.
My daughter just committed to Baylor, no looking back. (:
I wish your son the best of luck at Clemson!