Safety Schools for Neuroscience Major

It’s unique and certainly not for all since it’s so small and merit aid would be needed (which means a test as it’s a Florida public) but Wilkes at FAU (about 500 students) has a neuro concentration.

It’s worth a look (info session, etc.) - I imagine the mentorship would be pretty strong given the size. I could be wrong but it seems like it would be.

FAU | Wilkes Honors College - Concentration in Neuroscience

Update again! Will definitely sit down with my family and talk about financial aid & what is doable and what isn’t. Thinking private schools with large endowments are going to be my best bet here. Thoughts on Loyola in Chicago? Depaul? Depaul is losing its reputation here in Chicago a little bit for some reason. Ultimately between finances and what is better for me as a whole anyways, It’s probably going to end up being a less prestigious school trying to grow their neuroscience program. Would much rather have stellar grades and be at the top of the class at a less prestigious school than have worse grades somewhere like Harvard where the classes are harder and the opportunities are more competitive as far as acceptance to med school goes, but it’s always nice to try and see. Thanks all for feedback and suggestions - much appreciated! If you can think of any other schools as options (regardless of financial aid status - will look into myself with my family), let me know!

2 Likes

I was going to recommend Loyola and DePaul, I do not think DePaul is losing its rep in Chicagoland…can you share why you think that?

Regarding your budget, you said it’s $20K-$30K and that you have a single mom. If there is a bio dad in the picture, most schools that use CSS Profile (all the private colleges on your list and many recommended here) will also look at his financial info (as well as a spouse if there is one). It’s tough for us to give you more suggestions until we know the financial sitch. Run Harvard’s net price calculator with your mom (and make sure to include bio dad’s financials if there is one in the picture).

I would also really encourage you to consider UIUC. UIUC will only consider your mom’s income and assets, and as a high stat resident you will likely get merit aid there, possibly need based aid too (we need more info re: finances to know if you would get need based aid there)…and it starts out much less expensive than the other schools on your list.

2 Likes

If you are chasing merit and want a school with a neuroscience major + great med school placement, check out Juniata. It’s small and rural, but they will probably give you great merit.

8 Likes

Please use the net price calculator results with caution.

1. The NPCs are currently set for students starting fall 2023, and that’s not you. Sometimes financial aid awarding formulas or policies do change.

2. Simply adding the income of the non-custodial parent (and spouse if that non-custodial parent has married again) might not give accurate results. As noted…the non-custodial parent info is required only by some colleges…not all.

3. @kelsmom can explain better…but starting the 2024-2025 academic year, the parent reported on the FAFSA will be the parent providing the majority of financial support to you. For some students, this will not be the parent with whom they live. If the other parent is providing the bulk of the financial support…THAT parent will be the parent listed on the FAFSA.

4. I think chasing merit might be a better option for you. This would not be income driven, and often doesn’t even require the filing of financial aid forms. Plus…merit is usually guaranteed for all four years assuming you maintain a certain college GPA.

5. You mention difficulty of courses. If you pursue a premed intention…the courses you take will be hard no matter where you take them…and the students in the classes likely bright, just like you. For example, I would say that organic chemistry is just as hard at any college where you take it.

6. And lastly…if you pursue a career in medicine, you will be taking test after test after test after test…forever. The MCAT is only the beginning.

6 Likes

Glad you are open to others. Just be prepared - even at lesser pedigree schools, you won’t necessarily stand out academically. There’s many kid who go to certain schools for money.

Look at Alabama - where thousands of Illinoisans go.

They have more national merit scholars than any college - period. Think about that !!!

My point is - work hard as you do now.

You might go to Harvard and be tops or not.

But the same is true of DePaul, Brandeis, WVU, Arizona or anywhere else.

You’re a great student - but going to a college that a magazine doesn’t label elite doesn’t mean you’ll automatically outperform others there.

Even without need, you’ll find a program at $30k if that’s the budget. Good luck.

1 Like

@WayOutWestMom might have some info for you here. I’ll pose these questions for her.

1. Does University of New Mexico offer its scholarships without SAT or ACT scores.

2. Does UNM have a degree in neuroscience for undergrads?

3. Could you please post the site for other health careers (my bookmarks are messed up). Every person hoping to attend medical school needs a plan B. Every.Single.One.

4. This poster wants to be a psychiatrist. Is a degree in neuroscience essential to this goal?

No undergrad degree is essential to become a psychiatrist… because FIRST you become a physician-- like every other doctor. Hematology, Urology, Orthopedics, Surgeon… psychiatrist wannabees are going to go through the same classes and the same set of rotations. Major in music, major in urban planning, major in history-- the residency committees which will evaluate a new doctor’s “fit” with their program in psychiatry will not care what the undergrad major is.

And it seems like this is the fourth neuroscience thread this week… you do not need a “neuroscience major” to have a solid and rigorous education in neuroscience. It is nomenclature.

OP- you sound like a terrific student. Start with your budget… and don’t fall in love with any particular program until you are sure it’s going to be affordable, including transportation!

6 Likes

@blossom….totally agree!

1 Like

But clearly for the colleges, it’s the current flavor of the day, great for marketing !!

2 Likes

Don’t even get me started :laughing:

5 Likes

Potential safeties in your price range with neuroscience near Chicago:
UIC, Lake Forest, Augustana, Dominican, and possibly Loyola. The privates listed seem to have fairly generous aid and you would be a strong candidate.

D24 is also considering neuroscience and was interested in California. We could not find any place with neuroscience that would qualify as a safety (financial/admissions) for an OOS student.

Lists 263 colleges with neuroscience programs. Wish the search capability was better.

This helps give a snapshot of what the “average” student pays when receiving merit aid only. Net price calculators don’t always include potential merit aid (even if the vast majority of applicants receive some). Hopefully this would show the worst case scenario, and if you qualified for some need based aid in addition/in place of merit, it would still be at least as affordable.

1 Like
  1. UNM does offer scholarships for OOS students without requiring an ACT or SAT score. WUE, LUE and National Recognition Scholarships do not require an ACT/SAT.
    (Neither does the Regents Scholarship. but the deadline for applying for that was Dec. 1)
  1. UNM does not offer a degree in neuroscience at the undergrad level. The psych dept does at the graduate level. A undergrad BS in psych requires coursework in cognition, brain & behavior. Additionally students are required. to take 4 400-level electives which can include neuroscience coursework.

UNM’s psych dept hosts the Psychology Clinical Neuroscience Program
Additionally,the Mind Research Network (MRN) is adjacent to the UNM main campus.
Both offers plenty of research opportunities for undergrad interested neuroscience.

1. https://explorehealthcareers.org

Includes a searchable database of health and healthcare related jobs.

1. One does not need a degree in neuroscience to become a psychiatrist. Med students will take one or more core courses in neuroscience, neurochemistry and neuroanatomy and learn everything they need to know on the topic to practice medicine. A residency in psychiatry will teach a med grad the practice and practicalities of diagnosing. and managing mental illnesses. Additionally, there a number of fellowships for psychiatrists who want to sub-specialize. (Addiction medicine, child & adolescent psych, psychosomatic medicine, forensic psychiatry, geriatric psychiatry, pain management, sleep medicine, and hospice & palliative care.)
3 Likes

Next door neighbor Arizona, with a neuro major, It costs $39,600 in tuition - but OP gets off $30K.

So $10K or so tuition and a fine honors college.

Squarely within budget. And an awesome school.

If you look in post #12 at the schools listed as extremely likely and likely, I think most have the possibility to get under $30k, apart from Christopher Newport. For instance, Augustana is one of the outliers I put on the list (it’s in Illinois but not in the Chicago metro area). So travel costs should be quite reasonable, but you would probably qualify for the President’s Scholarship of $29k/year. If you visit the campus, that’s $1k/year. If your family files the FAFSA by their designated date (regardless of whether you qualify for financial aid) you get $750/year. If you complete four online sessions justice and social change, that’s $1k/year. That looks like $31,750 in scholarship money right there, and with the cost at $62k (tuition, room, board & health fee), that brings you right around $30,250. And there may be additional moneys available that aren’t listed on their scholarship page (there’s a scholarship estimator available, too).

Or take a look at North Park. It appears you would qualify for the Nyvall scholarship of $21k/year. With tuition, room, board, and fees at $46k, you’re looking at $25k to go to school here. And this would also be big savings for transportation costs, too.

You will be able to get a good education at a price that’s affordable for your family. Just take some time to find the options that will fit the budget and your interests best.

As a prospective neuroscience major in search of a college, you may want to know that Amherst College developed the nation’s first undergraduate program in this field, in 1973.

You got me thinking. Augustana - the other - in South Dakota has a neuro minor. Its COA is $53.4 and OP qualifies for $23k merit.

OP will have options even without need with geographic flexibility.

And AU is a solid name. Very well respected.

1 Like

Agree with the Rhodes recommendation. I know a freshman who had high stats (NMSF) but was rejected from Princeton (legacy) and Vanderbilt. She is having a great experience and realized that she has more opportunities that might not have been available to her at the schools she most wanted to go to.

3 Likes

If you might be interested in psychology more broadly than you have revealed, you may want to look for colleges with programs that, along with an available program in neuroscience, offer exposure to other branches of contemporary psychology, such as clinical, cognitive, developmental, evolutionary and social psychology.

1 Like

Trinity College in CT has a very strong neuroscience program (and med school placement). It is also steps from Hartford Hospital where the school has strong ties- many students engage in research and internships there.

1 Like