Sales Tax

<p>What is the total sales tax rate in Tuscaloosa? Several local businesses (The Trunk, Expedition, etc.) posted that this weekend with tax-free weekend you can save 18%. Is the tax rate actually 18%? If so, should we consider buying the Mac elsewhere? We had planned to buy the package from the Supestore.</p>

<p>I’m thinking it is 9%. Maybe they are doing a matching discount?</p>

<p>The tax rate is about 9%. Yes, it’s tax free weekend in Alabama for school-related stuff…clothes, school supplies, laptops, tablets, etc.</p>

<p>See if you can buy your laptop at the SupeStore today…call and find out. Then no sales tax.</p>

<p>Thank you! The tax free deal is only for computer/software purchases under $750. :(</p>

<p>The sales tax rate in Tuscaloosa is 9% for groceries and most goods, 6% on DVD rentals, and 6% on hard liquor purchased at state ABC stores. The stores in question are likely giving an additional 9% off in addition to the no sales tax, which ends up being a 16.5% savings. The tax rate in most parts of the Birmingham area is 10%, some being 8% or 9%. Bankrupt Jefferson County doesn’t participate in the tax free weekend for its portion of sales taxes (2-4%), so if buying something in the Birmingham area, shop at a location in Shelby County.</p>

<p>Amazon and many other online merchants don’t charge sales tax when shipping to Alabama regardless of the amount, though a use tax may be owed.</p>

<p>When buying a car in Alabama, the sales tax is quite low. That was a nice surprise when we moved here. I bought a car 3 weeks ago and the tax was less than 3%. Oh and registering a car…very cheap…I just paid for new tags for 4 cars and paid less than $600 for the group. In Calif, I would have paid $600+ for ONE car. When we left Calif, the car tag for my car (car was turning one year old) was due that month (over $700), when we got to Alabama to register it, the cost was less than $100. lol.</p>