SAT racially discriminatory?

<p>As a Hispanic student, I don’t see how these test can be racially discriminatory in any way.</p>

<p>Are we talking about how Ebonics play a role in the CR and Writing sections? Because that’s the only thing I can see that’s even relevant.
There’s no reason for people to “talk” a certain way, and even if they do, English should be learned properly.</p>

<p>I have heard of the B.I.T.C.H test and I think that it shows how different people think. Honestly, the SAT may not be racially discriminatory, but I do believe that the test weeds out people of lower economic classes. I don’t know, the way they ask questions on the SAT just doesn’t make any sense. I don’t think that it is always a problem of people not understanding the material, but not understanding the questions. Mmm, am I the only one who felt like the SAT questions were always asking something else? </p>

<p>That is neither here nor there, though, because there are alternate tests, such as the ACT, that people can take. In some cases your results could be vastly different, or roughly the same like they were for me. If colleges accept them both, I’m pretty sure that it’s because they realize that some people do better on a particular test, so no one is counted out, not necessarily that people who score high on the SAT or ACT are smarter than people who don’t.</p>

<p>I’m agreeing with 2015girl :slight_smile:
It’s more about culture than race…</p>

<p>I still don’t understand how I made a 179 on the PSAT( Im a sophomore) but a 33 on my ACT practice test.</p>

<p>@OP: no the SAT or the ACT is not racially discriminatory. my family don’t make a lot of money and gave me no support but I did well anyways. how? I used the free library which have most of books/study guides. I studied A LOT before the test. I’m black. race doesn’t mean anything. your socioeconomic stat might but that can be lessened by doing what I did. stop making excuses.</p>

<p>I agree with ilikepizza to a certain extent. I think that some test takers, no matter how hard they try will not be able to crack the SAT. I was one of them. Like you, I studied hard using guides and took a few free classes and still did not feel like I did well on it. Instead of wasting my time taking the test over I took the ACT and felt like I did better. While you and others might be able to prepare and do well, I do not think that that is the case for everyone who might take the same approach. Perhaps we think or are taught/learn differently, but I think that it is safe to say that there is a reason why we have two tests, and I am glad that we do.</p>

<p>IDK about the SAT per se, but I have heard about IQ tests being racially and culturally biased.</p>

<p>The SAT is obviously not racially discriminatory. This thread is idiotic.</p>

<p>I think in an attempt to promote equality to all in this country, we are actually creating inequallity. The act of equalizing everyone not only emphasizes all of our differences, but slowly destroys individualizm. That’s probably why so many white’s are against affirmative action, and how some high achieving blacks, latinos…etc feel discriminated against when someone states, “Well, you only got into U Penn or JHU because your black (Or any skin color) and affirmative action”. But, AA also has its good points. I mean, there are some minorities that do go through tough situations and environments. AA succesfully helps these people; however, whether AA has more ups than downs is up to anyones discretion.</p>

<p>^^^
AA is not supposed to be discussed in this forum. Take your ridiculous opinions on AA to the proper forum. Another example of “who, why and how” the AA subject is actually introduced in this forum.</p>

<p>^ aglages, why do you still post on this forum? The only time you appear is whenever AA is mentioned, even in the slightest. Are you still having trouble realizing that your presence is not welcomed? There was no need to call cherylabbey’s opinions “ridiculous”. Even a simpleton could have linked cherylabbey to the “Race” thread, where AA is discussed, without attacking them. If you’re going to post here, AT LEAST comment on the original post.</p>

<p>Anyways. The SAT isn’t racially discriminatory at all, lol. I think we’ve established that already. I’ve heard about IQ tests being racially biased, though.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I have a sneaking suspicion that it is, although I haven’t seen any good studies on it. However, some of the conclusions drawn from the IQ test (i.e. intelligence disparities between racial groups) seem to hint that there is something wrong with the test, mostly because it does not test for different types of intelligence or take into account differing socioeconomic backgrounds that the test may not accommodate.</p>

<p>

Yet you failed to do so.</p>

<p>Unlike you, aglages, I don’t ■■■■■ the African American students forum, itching for someone to just dare mention affirmative action so I can have the opportunity to pounce on them and tell them how “ridiculous” their opinions are. Unlike you, aglages, I actually address the original post.</p>

<p>Anyways. I can’t remember where I saw this on CC, but someone said that there was a study done where African American students tested better on the SAT when they had a black proctor.</p>

<p>Sent from my iPhone 4 using CC</p>

<p>Yet again you had an opportunity to steer the poor misguided AA poster to the correct forum but chose instead to post another whiny self important rant.</p>

<p>I’m not. I like aglages.</p>

<p>^ Good for you! :)</p>

<p>Back to the original topic. I wish I could find the study where IQ tests are racially biased.</p>

<p>I don’t know about IQ tests per se, but this discussion has reminded me of an old documentary that I heard about on PBS. Well, I searched for it and found the transcript online: </p>

<p>[Transcript</a> | Secrets Of The Sat | FRONTLINE | PBS](<a href=“http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/sats/etc/script.html]Transcript”>Transcript | Secrets Of The Sat | FRONTLINE | PBS)</p>

<p>The documentary follows students as they study for the SAT and try to get into UC Berkeley and similar colleges. I found it surprising that the original purpose of SAT and I.Q. tests were to open selective colleges open to promising students outside of the upper classes, although now people rely heavily on spending money to get higher test scores through prep classes and books. The documentary also hints at the revenue that Princeton Review and Kaplan receives from students who are desperate to get the highest possible score. The documentary touches on the wording of questions on the SAT as well. </p>

<p>While I wasn’t able to find a lot of clear IQ test studies, I did come across the work of Roy Feedle, a man who has been questioning the fairness of tests such as the SAT and IQ tests.<br>
[News:</a> New Evidence of Racial Bias on SAT - Inside Higher Ed](<a href=“http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/06/21/sat]News:”>http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/06/21/sat)</p>

<p>Once again, I am not so sure that the SAT is racially discriminatory but I think that a person’s economic standing has more to do with success on these tests than anything else. However, we cannot ignore the fact that most of the students who are put at a disadvantage economically are often minorities. I think that it is a lack of knowledge and resources within schools that are predominately made up of minority students that account for low test scores more than anything else.</p>

<p>I know this is kind of long lol, but I personally believe that the ACT is more of a valid measure of what a student has learned and estimate their ability to grasp work at a higher level than the SAT. The SAT is more about learning how to take a test and doesn’t seem to require that much intelligence if a person is taught how to perform. The ACT tests things that people actually learn in a classroom, and might give some insight into how well the student learns and retains information. Any thoughts? I’m curious to see what others think…</p>

<p>

No.
I do remember a Mod advising ALL of us that this was NOT the forum for AA discussions and yet you don’t seem to be interested in policing THAT activity.
BTW - where in your post (#36) did you address the “original topic”?</p>

<p>Here is a shout out to the original topic:
The SAT isn’t racially discriminatory at all, lol. </p>

<p>Thanks newsperrys! MarinebioSax seems to think she is some type of spokesperson for the entire forum.</p>

<p>Can I just say that while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it is our job as human beings to relay our opinions in a way that is respectful. I don’t have a problem with people who disagree with me, nor do I have a problem with disagreements in general, but I think that there is a way to have an intelligent discussion without resorting to being childish and rude. Along with staying on topic and posting AA discussion points in the appropriate forum, I recall a moderator bringing up something a little more important: the need to be respectful of each other in our posts. With that being said, I wonder if there is a true difference between how a person scores on the ACT and the SAT. Someone mentioned earlier a wide disparity between their scores and I haven’t been able to find any good studies on the subject…</p>