SAT Subject Tests for UCs?

I’m applying to major in undeclared engineering / mechanical engineering to all the UC schools. I’m aware that the subject tests are heavily recommended, however I don’t believe I’ll get a score over 700. Would it be better to take no subject tests? Or would it be better to submit all the recommended tests but with a low score? (Not confident in Math Level 2 at all)

My take on the SAT subject tests are that a high score can enhance your application but a low score will not heavily impact your application. That said, unless there is a compelling reason not to take the exams, then you should make an effort but with the UC’s being competitive, everything in your application will be considered. SAT I scores will be more important than the SAT subject tests.

Tough call so you need to decide for yourself. What are your SAT test scores and especially your Math score?

I was planning on submitting my ACT score, since it’s much much higher than my SAT score. For ACT, my Math section is 29, and I just retook it and will probably go up.

Regardless of which test you plan on submitting, how does your Math section score compare to the your target school ranges? You can check the Common Dataset of each school to see the 25th and 75th percentiles for ACT Math if listed. You want to be at or above the averages as an Engineering applicant.

What is your ACT composite score? What is your Capped weighted and Fully weighted UC GPA?

Capped : 3.987
Fully Weighted: 4.002
ACT Composite: 30

So which UC’s are you applying for Engineering? Are these your UC GPA’s? All UC’s look at the unweighted UC GPA, Capped weighted UC GPA and Fully weighted UC GPA?

Here is some UC statistical data.

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and Not Major Specific:
UCB: 10%
UCLA: 9%
UCSD: 34%
UCSB: 38%
UCD: 41%
UCI: 38%
UCSC: 70%
UCR: 84%
UCM: 95%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.25