SAT Subject Tests & UC

For the University of California do SAT Subject tests outside of the school’s recommendation affect admission chances at all? Since none of the colleges recommend taking any of the humanities (Except for Public Health policy majors at UC Irvine) should I take those if I only plan on going to a UC?

Here’s the link for the recommendations
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/examination-requirement/SAT-subject-tests/index.html

If subject tests are not required or recommended, most UC’s state they could only help your application and hurt it. If you think you can do well on several subjects, take them.

They’re expensive though, and I don’t qualify for free tests. So if they don’t have a real impact I’m not going to take them

If you are applying to UCI for the Public Health major, then you should take them to be a more competitive applicant. If you feel that rest of your application is competitive, then you should be fine. If you need a competitive edge, then you should consider taking the recommended subject tests.