SAT vs ACT conversion for UC's

<p>If your ACT is much better than SAT, how does UC do the conversion. For example, 33 ACT and 1980 SAT. Since 33 ACT converts to roughly 2180, will the UC’s just use 2180 and ignore the 1980. </p>

<p>Also, in this situation do you have the option of submitting your ACT score, and only your SAT subject tests, ie don’t provide regular SAT scores to UC’s? </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>This happened to my son last year. He scored 2090 on the SAT and 34 on the ACT. He sent in all his scores for everything (AP, SAT II’s also) and got accepted to all the UC’s he applied to. I’m assuming his lower SAT didn’t hurt him. Hope his story helps. Good luck with the application.</p>

<p>My sister got a 32 on her ACT but a 1790 on her SAT (1780 the first time). </p>

<p>We are urging her to send only the ACT plus the two SAT Subject Tests but she wants to send everything. Any thoughts???</p>

<p>@monfirst3 – did your son send AP scores to UC for admission purpose?</p>

<p>Yes, he did. He was a National AP Scholar so the scores were a strength for him. As to which scores to send, he sent everything for one of two reasons. His scores weren’t too bad and some of the schools he applied to wanted every test so he sent them. I guess this is a personal choice. Regarding post #3, I would encourage her to send in just the ACT and the subject tests. There really is no benefit to sending the SAT score. Unless she is required to do so, I wouldn’t send it. Just an FYI, when you send your subject test scores, the SAT test will be on the report also unless you do something to remove it.</p>

<p>iloveparis
im pretty sure you are required to send in all test scores. UCs mention that explicitly. even if your sis did get a 1790 n the SAT, they will ignore that and take the highest “SAT/ACT” score which would be in this case the 32 ACT</p>

<p>collegeboard.com does not allow Score Choice in sending scores to UCs – on the Send Scores section of the website, after selecting a UC and going to the next page, the website says the UCs don’t allow it. Try it and you’ll see the choice is not offered.</p>

<p>So, your only options are to send ACT, SAT and Subject Tests, or just SAT and Subject Tests. There is no option at collegeboard.com to send SAT Subject Tests without SAT scores to UCs. Yes, Score Choice works for many other Universities, just not UCs.</p>

<p>In your case I would send the ACT test results along with all the collegeboard results.</p>

<p>you can find the ‘conversion’ chart on the attached link. UC requires ALL test scores. </p>

<p>[University</a> of California - Examination path](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/freshman/california-residents/examination/index.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/freshman/california-residents/examination/index.html)</p>

<p>Sis called The College Board and they assured her that if she checked the boxes indicating which test scores she wanted sent, that it was indeed possible to send only the SAT Subject Tests scores. But her feeling had always been that there was no harm in sending all the scores. Yes, her 1790 SAT is not as good as her 32 ACT but, as she said, so be it. She’s happily sending everything.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! :)</p>