SAT vs ACT

<p>Do the UC’s prefer one over another? Would sending only an ACT score hurt my chances?</p>

<p>32 ACT and 1830 SAT</p>

<p>edit: I also will have SAT subject tests along with the ACT. And also the ACT is with writing.</p>

<p>I’m sure either one would be great. SAT scores are usually more typical for western (and I think eastern) coast universities, but you scored pretty well on your ACT. Personally, I would send in the SAT score and the two subject tests (you and I scored the same, and I was able to make it into UC San Diego).</p>

<p>You can also send in both! That will give admissions officers a better idea of you as a student (if you are still on the wait-list).</p>

<p>Which UC do you plan on going to?</p>

<p>I’m a junior right now, so I haven’t applied yet. I am aiming for UCSB and UCSD, but UCLA and UCB are my top choices.</p>

<p>The only reason I’m asking this question is because everyone at my schools is saying that sending an ACT score only hurts my admission chances.</p>

<p>Well, “everyone at [your] school” is incorrect. Your ACT score is much higher than your SAT score, and the UCs view the two tests equally. I got an 1890 on the SAT and a 31 on the ACT; I sent both and was accepted to UCSD.</p>

<p>Just send both. UC’s always take your highest score to decide your admittance. Also, make sure not to forget to send your SAT Subjects if you need to (as of Class of 2012, UC’s no longer require SAT Subject tests).</p>

<p>I sent both my ACTs and SATs, i scored a 30 on ACT, and 1900 high on my SATs, and i just got accepted to UCLA… so i think your friends are mistaken…All it shows it that your a good test taker.</p>

<p>Also, as a quick note, remember that your scores for the UC system will be thrown out if you send them at the end of this year (since you haven’t applied yet, and they need an application to attach the scores to). Whatever UC you decide to attend, I recommend resending all of your scores in January (your last semester of your senior year). This way, they can attach the scores to an actual application, and you won’t have to deal with the placement tests notifications (specifically, the Subject A). It will save you the unexpected trouble.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input guys. I’ll send both then.</p>