SAT vs MCAT

I just received my SAT score back and I am not satisfied. I got a 1300 (3rd try)(superscore 1330). My question is that since I got a low SAT score, will this affect my MCAT chances (I want to get like a 526ish). I’m scared because if I got a low score on the sat, I’ll get even lower on the MCAT, and I really want to go to medical school as I cannot imagine myself doing anything other than MD.

Furthermore, really quick and slightly unrelated. Could I do a biomedical MS with a biochemistry BS? (I’m asking as biomed engineering is my backup if I cannot get into medical school).

thanks!

@QatarA10 you are really putting the cart before the horse here. You are in high school….right? You haven’t even started college yet. Getting accepted to medical school does require a decent MCAT score…but there is a LOT more to a successful medical school application than just the MCAT score. Shadowing, volunteering, patient contact work, and a great GPA and sGPA…plus any experience you might have post bachelors if you apply after getting your bachelors degree…and a good interview.

At this point, your goal should be to find an undergrad college that you like, that is affordable for your family, and that you would be happy to attend. Actually…find a bunch at varying levels of competitiveness for admission.

Many…many many students who start off with a premed intention change their minds along the way.

P.S. your SAT score is not predictive to potential on the MCAT.

@WayOutWestMom what did I miss?

2 Likes

If you want to do biomedical engineering, you likely need at least some undergraduate engineering background. Otherwise, an admission into an engineering masters program is unlikely.

Anyway, it’s good to know this isn’t strictly true:

Could I do a biomedical MS with a biochemistry BS? (I’m asking as biomed engineering is my backup if I cannot get into medical school).

My younger D (double BS in biological neuroscience and mathematics) looked into doing a MS in BME after a science undergrad degree and found that you cannot be accepted directly into engineering grad programs unless you have taken a bunch of “foundational” engineering classes. You must also have 2 semesters of calculus-based physics (aka engineering physics), math thru at least differential equations and some computer programming experience.

She was only provisionally* accepted to a MS in BME program–she had all the required math , engineering physics, a couple of CS classes, plus hands on experience writing instrumentation and data analysis code for her research lab.

• provisionally meaning she had to complete 5-8 “core” engineering classes first before they would allow her to start taking coursework toward a master of engineering.

Her experience was identical to the experiences of a friend of hers who also had a cognitive science + math degree. He was provisionally accepted into a neural engineering PhD program, but he first had to spend 2 semesters (unfunded by his doctoral program–meaning paying out of his own pocket) to complete his “core” engineering coursework before he could formally start his grad engineering coursework.

My question is that since I got a low SAT score, will this affect my MCAT chances

There is a statistically significant positive correlation (CE = 0.54) between SAT/ACT scores and MCAT scores. This means that your SAT score is moderately predictive of your MCAT score, but remember that your SAT score isn’t destiny. There are other factors that are better predictors of how well one will score on the MCAT. (Like your sGPA.)

On the whole, individuals who score at the mean on their SAT/ACT will score below the mean on the MCAT simply because the pool of test-takers is stronger for the MCAT.

1 Like

The best way I can describe the MCAT, it’s like a harder version of the ACT but without the math section. Your SAT score will likely have very little correlation to your future MCAT success. Where as the classes you will take as an UG will be very important in preparing for the subject matter tested, unless you can figure out biochemical pathways of hormone production and regulatory mechanisms without taken BioChem/Physiology with only 5 minutes per passage which would be very impressive.

Medicine as a career is not just about getting into med school. You still need to pass the classes and then the USMLE Steps. Getting into a residency and pass a Board Certification.

Take it a step at a time. It’s a long game.

Your SAT score doesn’t necessarily predict your MCAT performance. Focus on strong preparation for the MCAT; it’s a different exam. As for a biomedical MS with a biochemistry BS, it’s possible, but program requirements may vary. Check with specific universities for their admission criteria. Good luck!

Unless the MS is free with a NSF grant, I would advise against it unless you need it for grade boosting. Med School is already very expensive and you don’t need any additional debt.