SAT writing score for UC system

I’ve heard that Berkeley and UCLA highly value the SAT essay score. My daughter received the following SAT scores:
10/19: 1300 SAT, 22 essay score
8/19: 1370 SAT, 17 essay score.

So the question is, what to report to UC? The higher SAT score, but lower essay? Or report both scores and hope they take all SAT and SAT writing scores into account?

@Edisonian . . . here’s the contact information for UC Admissions:

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/contact-us.html

UC reporting and application review of test scores:

I would send both test scores but she should report the 1370 which is the highest total score on the application.

All the UC’s will put more emphasis on the Personal insight essays over the SAT essay/ACT writing sections.

SAT essay 25th-75th percentiles for 2019;
UCB: SAT Essay 16 - 19
UCLA: SAT Essay 16 - 19

Her SAT essay of 17 is still within range.

@Edisonian . . . you’re almost the perfect reason why the UCs should allow mixing and matching of SAT M & EBRW with essay scores because even if the essay does minutely factor into the ACT score by component (but not the composite), for the SAT, the essay has zero input into one’s composite or component scores.

And if a student scores 24 on the essay on his/her first take of the SAT, then why would this student want to retake the essay if he/she wanted to score higher on the M & EBRW?

But rules are rules. The UCs mainly want to see effort in one persevering through three hours of the two sections to get to the ~ one-hour essay. And by taking the essay at all sittings, it can only improve one’s writing and standardized test-taking, irrespective of what you manifested in your two takes of the essay.

I would contact UC Admissions to see if there is another way around the problem. Surely the 1,370 score is more important, and by reporting its 17 score on the essay, the UCs will also note that you scored 22 on the essay in your first take by sending in that score (edit: besides the fact that UC wants full disclosure anyway – they want all scores sent in). They’ll also note the increase in M & EBRW in your subsequent take and give you points for their increase.