Scared that my math level alone can make me rejected-FGLI

I got a lot of merit, but I didn’t submit financial aid yet so I believe it would cover more of the cost. RN they are around 20k a year (down from around 40-60k) and I am hope that submitting financial aid will give me more aid.

1 Like

Note that merit and need-based financial aid do not necessarily fully stack. For example, it is common for schools to apply merit first to expected student loan and work earnings, but then replace need-based grants before reducing parent contribution. But each school may have its own methodology, and it is not always stated on the web site.

If $20k per year is affordable, then the school with a $20k net price is a safety, but if you need a lower price than that, it is not a safety, at least not yet.

2 Likes

If you apply somewhere, even REA, and get turned down as most will, you didn’t shoot yourself in the back.

If it was your top choice and you feel qualified, then it was right. It doesn’t mean you’ll get in because you applied.

The question I have is you have so many AP and DE and you won’t get credit for them - then would Yale still be your top choice?

You applied. Wait and see. And have your other apps in. There is no mistake though unless you want credit for all those advanced classes.

• Any college credits earned prior to high school graduation will not be evaluated as transferable credit. Students who are dual-enrolled in both a high school and a college program should apply for first-year admission.

Yes, I would be fine with staying four years at yale. However, I will take advantage of my credits at other schools if I don’t get into Yale. I am hoping for a deferral.

Why are you waiting on CSS Profile? That was due for Yale REA applicants Nov 1. Can you complete it this weekend with your parents? You can file fafsa once it comes out in late December.

The OP posted on another thread that her ACT score is a 26 and she would be applying TO.

Yeah, so I didn’t know it was due nov 1 and had a hard time accessing financial aid documents. Then Yale reached out to me to tell me to submit documents and now I’m working on it, should be done by this weekend.

2 Likes

Right, and the OP was essentially “locked” into a low rigor math program. Wouldn’t that be a negative at this brand of schools, where most applicants get at least through AP calc, if not then onto multi variable… And ACT score validates this to some extent…?

You know, the way you’re saying this is rude. saying my act score, (which, if you had read that comment, was taken during a time when I was not only fasting, but I didn’t even have knowledge of all of the math on the exam) validates my “low rigor math program” was unneccessary. Why do you care about what my act score “correlates” to? Why compare students from other backgrounds?

^ the poster above likely doesn’t understand the “in context” aspect of admissions. Don’t worry about it.
All you can do now is wait and make sure you have affordable choices.
BTW what about Berea college, would you meet their criteria?

1 Like

I don’t think what @observer33 said is rude. It’s a fair assessment as is that you are first gen. Both things are relevant and why you got the score you did, and it’s not a bad score btw but not traditionally at the level of schools listed - it is the score regardless of the why. It doesn’t mean one can’t get in with that score or as a TO.

I wish you luck.

1 Like

Yeah, I am hoping to get in test optional, I didn’t even study for that act.

Applying to highly rejective schools requires some time commitment and many students, in their quest take standardized tests a few times, often beginning in the spring of sophomore year and through junior year. There are certainly a few seniors still taking tests this fall. It sounds to me like you took it once (and at a bad time), didn’t score what you hoped, and then stopped.
I think this is a perfectly acceptable choice if you are applying to schools which are test optional “friendly” or are applying to non-selective schools. I am a big advocate of TO admissions, but I believe you have to choose your colleges carefully.

2 Likes

It wasn’t my choice to stop studying once I saw my act score. I was working while in school and being really involved in policy work since the legislative session started. I had no time to be studying for a test that wasn’t even required at any of the colleges that I am applying to. My grades, course rigor, and my extracurriculars are pretty in line with the schools on my list. My list is reachy but perfectly fine because I can go to my state school and graduate two years early.

1 Like

That being said, I would caution you against graduating 2 years early. Use these 2 years -members of the honors college can often take graduate classes, for instance - you could graduate with a Master’s. Many students in your situation also double major or minor, have externships, etc. They use their 2 years of scholarship to the fullest.

5 Likes

I actually love this idea! I would love to take master’s level public health/policy classes and work to get an MPH or MPP, but graduating early could mean I could go to law school early if I decide that’s my path. I’ll definitely think about it more but this is a really good idea thanks for the advice. I am waiting on if I got into honors though but I really hope! I take classes at my state school and the honors seminars are really interesting.

It’s not relevant now but test optional doesn’t always mean you have a true chance test optional. If 80% are submitting and back out athletes, they want to see a test. Your FGLI can counter this.

Graduating in two years could be dangerous. You’d likely not have an internship and then find employment in your field very difficult.

At this point see how it all shakes out. All you can do.

3 Likes

I really agree. I have no idea as to how test optional is perceived at these colleges. I figured that if it’s an option and they say it won’t harm my application, then it won’t. Weirdly getting worried though because I haven’t received an interview but then again my area is pretty rural.

Interviews are often avail based - depends on the school.

Why worry ? You said the state school is in the bag !!

It’s the safety that is most important !! Affordable and an acceptance !!

Yeah, I got in and I’m very grateful and happy, but a combination of waiting for fafsa, applying to hundreds of scholarships, and having RD applications to work on is making me worried about where I’ll end up. Just worries about my future.