Schedule confusion

<p>I'm looking at the Checksheet for Mechanical Engineering and trying to develop a plan on my Pathways Planner. I was accepted into University Studies, but not Engineering. My goal is to still go into Mechanical Engineering. I am taking the ENGE 1024 class at a local community college this summer. </p>

<p>My problem is that for Freshman year, I will have AP/DE credits for most of the required courses. I can't take specific ME Sophomore level classes as I won't have Enge 1114 completed. </p>

<p>I have 7 credit hours I can take Fall Semester and 9 credit hours (including Enge 1114) to take Spring Semester. </p>

<p>I was accepted to the RLC so that is an additional 3 hours in the Fall and 3 in the Spring. </p>

<p>What do I do to fill my schedule out? Take fluff courses to hit the minimum 12 hours per semester to be considered full time? </p>

<p>I know I have to meet with my advisor, but I am trying to plan everything out before that time.</p>

<p>Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Just as a note before I start: I wasn’t an engineering major, so I’m not 100% on the ins and outs. </p>

<p>Since you already looked at the check sheet (<a href=“http://www.registrar.vt.edu/forms/degree/COE_me_13.pdf[/url]”>http://www.registrar.vt.edu/forms/degree/COE_me_13.pdf&lt;/a&gt;) [I’m just placing the link so others who want to help can get to it quickly], could you tell us which courses you will have credit for?</p>

<p>Have you looked at EVERY prerequisite for each course on the check sheet? I know it’s frowned upon, but as long as hokiespa allows you, you can sign up for a course (99% of the time- sometimes a glitch or typo). I’m guessing you probably already have this figured out as well.</p>

<p>The key for you is filling out your schedule with CLE (Curriculum for Liberal Education) courses that are listed at the end of your junior and senior years on the check sheet. Departments spread out these courses, but you can really take them whenever (although they would obviously have you spread them out). Take an area 2 and 3 in the fall (6 credits) and a 3 +7 in the spring and that should work. </p>

<p>You could also go the route of taking Technical electives but as I said I’m not engineering and have no idea how they classify those courses. </p>

<p>If I misunderstood or confused you even more let me know.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply. You actually helped alot. I had checked most of the prerequisites for most of the upper level courses and was excluded from all those I checked. </p>

<p>I didn’t look at technical electives. But, squeezing in some additional CLE courses in for my Freshman year is an awesome idea! It actually hadn’t thought of that. Thanks for the tip!</p>

<p>As for what I have credit for…</p>

<p>Fall: Enge 1024 ENGL 1105 Math 1205
Spring: Engl 1105 Math 1206 Math 1224</p>

<p>I will actually enter in the fall with 36 semester hours that I should get credit for, but most of them won’t count toward a major in Engineering.</p>

<p>Again, thanks for the suggestions.</p>

<p>In addition to the CLE courses you should be able to take a physics class in the fall. If everything goes well you will be transferring into GE in the spring so that should open up the engineering courses. In other words you just need to worry about fall. </p>

<p>By the way do you know if any of the Southwest VA CC exams for EGR120 need to be taken on site?</p>

<p>DD, did you confirm that you will get credit for all those courses? I dont see MATH 1224 on the credit list <a href=“http://www.registrar.vt.edu/registration/documents/ap_equivalency_1112.pdf[/url]”>http://www.registrar.vt.edu/registration/documents/ap_equivalency_1112.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also you must have, or expect to get, 4/5s in some of your subjects so it is suprising you did not make it into engineering right off unless you are on a rising trend like my son.</p>

<p>@SlottieCake</p>

<p>I spoke to the professor teaching EGR120 at SWVCC and he said that all work was virtual. There would not be a need to visit campus unless I needed to meet with him.</p>

<p>As to the transfer credit, the list you attached is for AP credits. I am looking at the Dual Enrollment transfer credit section here:</p>

<p>[@@(PageTitle)@@</a> | University Studies/UAAC | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.uaac.vt.edu/Templates/index_newstudent12.html]@@(PageTitle)@@”>http://www.uaac.vt.edu/Templates/index_newstudent12.html)</p>

<p>Most of my credits are DE, not AP. I do have 4s on all APs I have taken with the exception of a 5 on US History. I also have a 6 for IB Spanish that will transfer as credit for 3 Spanish courses. </p>

<p>A memo from the Engineering department states that two of my DE Physics courses do not count toward an Engineering Degree even as electives because they were not Calculus based. </p>

<p>Also, on Hokie Spa under the Pathways Planner it shows all of my DE courses, what the equivalent VT course is and the semester hours it is worth with a “T” to indicate transfer. I had two courses that have no transfer equivalents so those are just throw aways. </p>

<p>I was surprised to not be admitted to Engineering too. My feeling is that my SAT Math score of 620 and ACT Math score of 29 are what hurt me. All of my other stats were above the middle 50% of last year’s entering Freshman Engineering class.</p>

<p>DD - you are obviously super well organized - I can tell you are going to do great at college. I am pretty sure you will find enough Leadership, CLE, Math and Physics courses in your freshman year to get to 15 or more credits. You may even be able to take MSE 2034 in your freshman year. But if you did find yourself with a light course load how about auditing some classes? I don’t know if that is a possibility but it would be a way to learn about subject areas and electives that you may be choosing later.</p>

<p>My guess is the admissions people in engineering just seem to want to set kids up for success. If everything is not quite right, you may end up in US. There is no point in worrying why you did not get into engineering at this point, just do your best when you get to Virginia Tech and you should be fine.Junior son with 710 on math SAT, 650 on CR,5 on AP Physics,etc. had to start out in US. His high school grades could have been better though. Heck, they initially waitlisted him. Probably one of best things that ever happened to him as he seems to have gotten the message and has an almost 3.9 GPA in engineering.</p>

<p>@SlottieCake and SevMom, thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I’m not the type of person to dwell on something so I accepted that I didn’t get into Engineering and was thankful that I got into VT regardless of where they put me. I know it will come together.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>Wow! Impressive sevmom! Congrats to your son.</p>

<p>Thanks but I really just posted the info to underscore that many kids who initially do not get into engineering end up doing quite well. That the University Studies path is not that uncommon (and in most cases much better than getting denied outright from VT and then having to try to transfer in to VT later). Some kids unfortunately get into engineering initially and then have problems doing well. So, getting into engineering from the outset is not a guarantee of success. Anybody in engineering(regardless of the path taken to get there) is going to have to resolve to do well, study hard and ask for help if needed(at Math Emporium, go to office hours of professors and TA’s, study groups, etc). Good luck to all and I will be remembering Virginia Tech tomorrow on the anniversary of such tragedy for the campus. Virginia Tech has shown great resilience.</p>