Schedule Question

<p>Hi! I’m trying to work out a rough schedule before my orientation, but I had a few questions. I went to the page for my suggested major ([Undergraduate</a> Majors: Secondary Curriculum, Teaching, and Learning - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://www.ua.edu/majors/socialscienceedu.html]Undergraduate”>http://www.ua.edu/majors/socialscienceedu.html) or [Undergraduate</a> Majors: Secondary Curriculum, Teaching, and Learning - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://www.ua.edu/majors/secondarycur.html]Undergraduate”>http://www.ua.edu/majors/secondarycur.html) I’m not sure which yet) and looked at the recommended schedule. I came up with a schedule of:</p>

<p>Spanish 103</p>

<p>Py 105</p>

<p>Math 145</p>

<p>and then I don’t know. I would take freshman English, but I tested out of it. I’m also not sure about TH114, it seems like a weird thing for a future teacher. Do I take a more advanced english class, like something in the 200s? And can I replace TH 114 with another Fine Arts class? Sorry if this is the wrong place, or if I’m being unclear! </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>What about one of your natural science electives? When my D looking into English lit there were it many openings and that was a month ago. Getting a 200 level English may be tough.</p>

<p>I thought about that, but I’m nervous about taking a math and a science in the same semester, since they’re easily my two worst subjects. I also want to play club soccer, and I think that the combination of that, my other classes, and getting acclimated to a campus 13 hours from home would just be too overwhelming. I ended up with 28 AP credits, which is making this whole thing incredibly complicated. Hopefully my advisor at Bama Bound will be able to help.</p>

<p>My D’s major, exercise science, is embedded within the college of education. At her Bama Bound 2 years ago, they had a lot of advisors available and she got to spend a good amount of time with hers. I think you will find them helpful. I had to take “acting for non-majors” at UNC and while I questioned it at the time it did prepare me for being in front of a group of people and thinking quickly on my feet. Which is what I do all day long as a teacher.</p>

<p>Don’t you still need a literature class? Something maybe American lit or British Lit?</p>

<p>Th 114 is an Intro to Theatre class. I don’t think that’s weird for someone who’s interested in Secondary teaching of English. Teachers should have a breadth of knowledge in academics and culture.</p>

<p>It looks like if you decide on Social Science teaching, then you can use a different FA elective. But as an English teacher, the Th 114 is appropriate…especially when you read the syllabus and objectives of the class.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If math is one of your worst subjects, why take Honors Calculus? Maybe the non-honors course would be a better choice. Also, I’ve heard that some of the science courses (GY 101 and 102 come to mind) aren’t that hard and are the choice for a lot of non-majors who don’t want a difficult science.</p>

<p>As others have suggested, you could take the required literature class. They’re probably mostly full so you might not be able to get one at BB, but if you watch there could be some movement as the start of the semester gets closer and you might be able to find an open spot.</p>

<p>I figured that since I already have some experience with Calc through my AP Calc class I should be ok in honors calculus. If it’s going to be significantly more difficult than a non-honors course though, I might rethink that. </p>

<p>My Degreeworks says I need 3 lit credits still, so something like American lit, or World lit could work, right? </p>

<p>If I take TH114, that gives me </p>

<p>Math 125/145</p>

<p>Spanish 103</p>

<p>Psychology 103</p>

<p>TH 114</p>

<p>and then a 200 level literature class. </p>

<p>Does that make sense? If I can’t get any of those literature classes, what about COM123 or 210, to fulfill my public speaking requirement? </p>

<p>You all are being incredibly helpful. Thank you!</p>

<p>As a freshman at UA last year, I was in the same place you were for math, having taken Calc in high school. I initially signed up for Honors Calc., and switched to regular Calculus in the second week of classes. A non-science major, I <could> have been successful in honors, but I realized that since I wouldn’t be pursuing the subject further, I would rather focus on my major classes and extracurriculars. Also, since many upperclassmen take 200-level English classes, you might have a hard time getting into one. If you’re looking for an interesting but not overwhelming science course, you could consider Geology. Very little math, mostly conceptual learning; I’ve enjoyed it.</could></p>