Scheduling Conflicts....Nightmare

<p>I’m a bit concerned that, even though I have a high number of weighted classes, I may be a bit low on the ones that are AP. I have 8 raw AP total, while others have up to 12 (the highest I know of). </p>

<p>I took 1 AP class and 1 honors class as a sophomore (basically only two availible to me). </p>

<p>For junior year, I had signed up for 5 AP classes, and my counselors at the time told me I would probably get them. At the beginning of the school year, however, I was told there were unrectifiable scheduling conflicts and that I had to go to 3 APs and 2 honors classes.</p>

<p>And even at this stage, my school basically screwed me over because I’m stuck with AP Scholar with Honor instead of Disticntion to put on my app; some of my other friends were able to get all the APs they signed up for out of sheer luck. Now, even though my GPA is as high as it would have been with all the APs I had signed up for, I feel at a major disadvantage in terms of perceivable awards/course rigor. </p>

<p>Senior year is here, and almost the EXACT same thing is happening. I had signed up for 5 APs, but I had to drop to 4 APs because of conflicts. Now I have to take a community college course to make up for the dropped AP.</p>

<p>Again, I have 13 weighted total (including CCCs); the absolute highest number (including all weighted) I know of is 16. While the latter case is by no means common (neither is my case for that matter), I am worried that it will look like I was slacking off in comparison to my peer(s). </p>

<p>So will those honors classes kill me? I’m just feeling really frustrated right now because I was WILLING to take more AP courses…but my school just wouldn’t let me, even though it will appear as though I had more availible to me. Seeing only 4 scores on the AP report so far is very disheartening…especially since my peers were able to have more. I know UCs say they weight honors and AP equallly in terms of GPA, but still…</p>

<p>If you’re not one of those psychotic overachievers who cry for a week when they don’t get into Berkeley or UCLA, you should be fine.</p>

<p>Well, my questions were, in fact, more geared towards Berkeley/UCLA…I don’t know whether I would cry for a week, but I certainly wouldn’t feel ok about it.</p>

<p>You could have self studied some AP subjects so stop whining about your school. YOUR course choices caused schedule conflicts, geez…get over it. Apply and see what happens.</p>

<p>Aw Manatees, that’s harsh! (but I laughed hysterically)</p>

<p>Anyhow, I took 7 APs and 2 Honors out of probably 16+ total offered, and it didn’t hurt me.</p>

<p>You only get 8 semesters of credit anyhow, I really doubt they will reject you over 1 or 2 (or 4) AP classes you didn’t take… jesus… they’ll find a ton of other reasons to reject you, like budget and enrollment cuts!</p>

<p>You’re going to be regretting all of those classes Senior year anyway, since you won’t want to do any work after you send apps in.</p>

<p>TLDR: You’re fine, gl this Fall.</p>

<p>@ Batllo: Our school has to approve the AP tests we take and we cannot self study. So that wouldn’t have made a difference. We can’t even take AP tests off honors courses, even when classes like honors physics at my school are the exact same as AP Physics at other schools.</p>

<p>And, yes, even while my choices caused conflicts, the school initially made it seem as if all would be fine. We meet with our counselors a month before the end of school to confirm our classes, and district policy stipulates that they must clear up any probable conflicts then; it did not work out that way, however. It was only a week before school that we were called about our problems, and at that point, there was little we could do. If it were that I would have known before the fact that I would be having conflicts, I would accept your criticism of my complaints. Instead I was mislead to the point where it was too late to sign up for anymore AP classes</p>

<p>I tried the best I could to salvage the loss of my AP courses by filling the holes in my schedule with honors classes (weighted the same as APs), and by taking community college courses over the summer and during senior year. </p>

<p>If you still think I am completely to blame for my situation and imply that I am a slacker complaining about things that were exclusively my own fault, go ahead and tell me why and what I should do.</p>

<p>Have you tried taking your concerns to the district level? Going to another high school in your district part of the day to take the AP classes you need? What did other students in your same situation do to get all the APs they wanted? Good luck in your applications.</p>

<p>^Going to another high school is in fact another option; however, the other high school in my town is around 20 minutes away. Going and coming would take a total of 40 minutes, which would be added to the 60 minutes that each class takes. So, I would have to have a 5 period day at my own school. Since our school does not allow us to leave early, I would have to take the class in the earlier part of the day; and that is when the bulk of my AP classes are. So, I would essentially be dropping an AP at my school for another AP at another school, gaining no APs…what good what that do? The people that take this option do it only for Calc BC which is not offered at our school every year.</p>

<p>The other students either got lucky in getting all the APs they wanted or just don’t care that much. Some do, but not enough that we can change a school/district policy.</p>

<p>And taking this to the district would do little as they tend to support the school’s justifications for their dealings (eg budget cuts, dearth of sign ups, etc).</p>

<p>I’m not trying to make excuses here, but I honestly don’t see what else I could have done. Maybe if I had foresight I could have prevented this, so I guess I should be rejected for not being able to tell the future…</p>

<p>I think you’re fine. My kid took 7 APs total, 3 honors and two CC classes. Even got a fair number of (gasp) B’s. He got in to both Cal & UCLA. Remember both those schools take a holistic view of your application, so work on those essays!</p>