Scholarship Acceptance

<p>Is it possible to get the right ACT score Oct and use the mid-year semester scores to boost up your cumulative GPA of your senior year to receive a scolarship? Or are you pretty much stuck with your Freshman-Junior GPA for scholarship acceptance?</p>

<p>Is your weighted GPA under 3.5 for grades 9-11?</p>

<p>Mits: If it’s under the 3.5 requirement, you could have your guidance counselor send a note to the admissions department explaining the jump in your GPA. Three years ago, one of our college counselors sent a note to Stanford on behalf of one of our students who had applied there. Her GPA and class ranking jumped at mid-semester, so much so that she was No. 2 in her class. (She did earn admission to Stanford.)</p>

<p>If my high school GPA is below the required GPA for the Capstone, Collegiate, UA Scholar, or Presidential Scholarship, and I raise it during my senior year in high school, will it be reviewed for the scholarship offer?
No. Grade point averages for 9th through 11th grade are the only years reviewed for these scholarships.
[FAQ</a> - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/]FAQ”>Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>That is for the ASSURED merit scholarships.</p>

<p>However…</p>

<p>I was told last year by those in the Scholarship dept, that all students who have a 3.0+ GPA and good test scores are reviewed for scholarship awards sometime in late winter.</p>

<p>Again, these later scholarships aren’t assured, but I would say that if a student has - say - an ACT 32 and a 3.4 GPA, he/she will probably be given some good amount in the spring. My friend’s son had an ACT 33 and a 3.4 GPA. He was awarded full tuition in the spring. I can’t say that will always happen, but it did in his case.</p>

<p>And…if my mid-year GPA was higher after the first semester of senior year, I would definitely have that update immediately sent and kept on file. It would sure look better when they are figuring out who to give those extra scholarships to.</p>

<p>^^
Good point m2ck!
Submitting improved mid year transcripts for consideration is probably a good idea. Certainly couldn’t hurt and who knows…maybe you’ll get lucky.</p>

<p>Mom2Collegekids: Right now he is a Junior and on the 3.5 GPA bubble. He finished his first quarter with a 3.8 average and going strong. Unfortunatelly (depends how you look at it), he took a lot of honors classes his first two years and it kinda cost him a surefire higher GPA, instead he endured many more B’s than he would have if he took non-Honors (his reasoning, not mine : )). So this year, he figured he would take regular courses so he could boost his overall GPA. So basically, he’s looking at finishing strong this year but what’s trouling him is if he finishes just short of the 3.5 GPA needed, could the senior mid-grade help push him over the top? I think from seeing the different posts here, the answer is keep working hard and send the transcripts in in his senior year, there is nothing to lose and much to gain.</p>

<p>For his best chance at an assured scholarship, he needs to finish strong THIS year. </p>

<p>Were his honors classes weighted? If not, you should find out if the school would be willing to write his weighted GPA on his transcript.</p>

<p>Follow m2ck’s advice and see if you can get the weighted gpa listed on the transcript. Here’s a FAQ quote from the UA website:</p>

<p>

</p>