Scholarship application, merit and HC questions

It appears you can apply for scholarships now before finding out if you were admitted. My question is: Aside from merit, are the only scholarships available through UA the ones listed on the application online? They are very specific. Or, is filling out the application having you apply for possible scholarships not shown?

Is this the same application for merit or is merit just awarded by stats if you qualify?

Once admitted, you would apply for HC at that time, correct?

Also, is it fair to assume apps should begin being processed soon for Freshman2017 since classes begin very shortly? It’s killing my dd. Lol!

Yes, you apply for scholarships now.

You submit the scholarship app.

There are many more schollies that aren’t named.

?? Merit is scholarships…they’re the same thing…same app.

Bama will begin processing apps once all the transfer apps are processed.

Some depts have scholarships. My son was encouraged to apply for one through his dept when he visited with them his sr yr. He had made an appt to meet with the UG advisor to discuss their program. After their meeting the UG advisor talked to him about the scholarship.

Don’t forget to re-apply to scholarships after your freshman year! There are 100s (just not individually named). Many have additional essays you will need to write, or additional info you need to provide. You do so through the scholarship app in the mybama page in the late fall. Deadline is usually early 2017 (Feb 10 or Mar 1 - it has been changing in recent years). Also, research thoroughly your department’s/major’s page for scholarship info. Some lucky students are invited to apply…others need to be proactive and search these out. Some colleges will have their own scholarship coordinator; I know Engineering does. This coordinator sends out emails to students whenever opportunities arise.

Here is a link to the many scholarships awarded through the various Alumni chapters nationwide. They list the deadline as March 1: http://alumni.ua.edu/scholarships/. Look down the right hand column for a PDF (2015-2016 Scholarship Recipients (PDF Format)) for a full listing. They do not post this until well after the end of their financial year, so this appears to be a listing of scholarships awarded for those students who applied in March 2015, for the 2015-2016 school year.