Scholarship chances

<p>My son had a strong ACT, 30, with a 3.3 weighted GPA, somewhat due to unusual family circumstances including a difficult transition after a transatlantic move and his father’s cancer diagnosis and treatment during his junior & early senior years. That said, he’s always taken a tough course load with honors and AP courses…and of course, he’s on track for his strongest semester ever now that it’s his senior year and GPA won’t be included. He fell painfully short of the GPA requirement for automatic scholarships. He’s been accepted as an incoming honors student, studying Engineering.</p>

<p>He has very strong EC’s demonstrating leadership and giving back to the community, including Eagle Scout, starting a premed club at his HS, 100 volunteer hours at local hospital, lacrosse, including team captain. He also has 7 years international school experience in Europe, 2nd - 8th grades.</p>

<p>He’s completed both the fellow experience & scholarship applications. With the high cost of out-of-state tuition, coupled with large medical expenses, we sure are hoping he gets a scholarship offer. For those who have been around for awhile, especially Mom2college, have you seen students with similar stats/circumstances end up with decent scholarship offers? any scholarship offers?</p>

<p>I’m guessing that he applied before Dec 1? </p>

<p>If so, I would do this…</p>

<p>1) Send his first quarter grades to Bama ASAP. </p>

<p>2) Send a very polite letter to Mary Spiegel telling her the situation. Include his ACT score. If Bama is a top choice, mention that. If your son will attend Bama with a scholarship award, mention that in the letter. Mention his senior year classes/grades. <a href=“mailto:mary.spiegel@ua.edu”>mary.spiegel@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>3) when his first semester grades come out, send those as well.</p>

<p>4) Are you a military family? If so, mention that as well.</p>

<p>Be super super polite in the letter.</p>

<p>In the past, some kids who’ve missed the GPA mark have gotten awards in the spring, but nothing is assured.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the quick response. I have some more questions, which I would prefer to send to you in a private message, but I haven’t posted 15 times, so I’m not allowed to initiate a private message. Would you mind sending me one, so I can respond to it? Thank you.</p>

<p>Hi, my son is in the same situation. His GPA is 3.43 with all AP honors . 1470 (CR & M) 32ACT . Did your son receive anything? Was it worth it to write a letter?? Any info would greatly help!!! </p>

<p>What was your son’s weighted GPA? UA historically has taken weighted GPA and with all AP honors courses your son might make the GPA cut off for scholarships.</p>

<p>I would have my son (with your careful review) write a polite letter to Mary Spiegel. <a href=“mailto:mary.spiegel@ua.edu”>mary.spiegel@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>She is the one with the power to over-ride the scholarship rules.</p>

<p>is that his weighted GPA? If his school doesn’t weight grades, then figure out the weighted GPA and ask the GC to handwrite it on the transcript…Bama will accept that.</p>

<p>I am PM’ing you more info.</p>