Scholarship deadline extended to Dec. 4

<p>Hello to all and congratulations on all the new acceptances!!</p>

<p>If you have not submitted your scholarship applications the deadline has been extended to today December 4th. Copied this from UA’s scholarship page:</p>

<p>Scholarship Application Deadline Extended
Due to the large number of applicants, we have extended the deadline to apply for scholarships. The new deadline is December 4, 2010. For more information about how to apply for scholarships, go to [How</a> to Apply - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/apply]How”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/apply).</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Didn’t they have to do this last year? For this reason and the Thanksgiving holiday? Maybe they should just go ahead and change the deadline to Dec. 15th.</p>

<p>^^^^^I agree with you feenotype, but then wouldn’t it just be easier to set one date for all scholarships and CBH and UFE applications. Just my opinion.</p>

<p>I agree that the UFE due date is too early. Both the UFE and CBH deadlines should be Jan 5th. </p>

<p>As for the scholarship deadline…The school needs to change how you apply for scholarships. The link to apply to scholarships should work immediately after you apply to the school. </p>

<p>These scholarship extensions happen because kids are applying over T-giving weekend, but the school doesn’t get the follow-up emails out in time for the kids to have a fair chance at submitting the scholarship app.</p>

<p>I’m just wondering why there needs to be a separate application at all. Back in my day, the scholarship application was an optional part of the admissions application that was completed and submitted at the same time.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I agree that for the assured scholarships, there really shouldn’t need to be a separate app. </p>

<p>But, now, there’s all these specialized scholarships that people “check the box” for if the scholarship offer applies to them…their parents work for that company or whatever.</p>

<p>It was the same way back then as well. It was all paper to boot, which made the application even longer.</p>

<p>Was there a scholarship deadline back then.</p>

<p>I don’t mind that there is a separate application for scholarships, but the waiting to submit the scholarship app is silly.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure it was also Dec. 1.</p>

<p>The non-scholarship part of the application was one page front-and-back, asking the basics: biographical data, intended major, and self-reported GPA, test scores and senior-year courses. The scholarship application was where you put down the things you would have on your academic resume: extracurricular activities, leadership roles, jobs, etc. You didn’t even have to write an essay. </p>

<p>Contrast that the basic application of other schools like Vanderbilt and Tulane or even other public universities like Virginia that asked for all that plus one or more essays AND letters of recommendation.</p>

<p>how long does it take for them to notify you of your scholarships once you’ve submitted the app? I submitted mine at least a month ago, and it should be fairly straightforward considering the automatic scholarships (I’m NMSF, 2380 SAT), but i still havent received anything. I’m growing a bit concerned…</p>

<p>Hi!</p>

<p>Congrats on being a NMSF!!</p>

<p>Do you know if and when your school sent your transcripts and when CB sent your scores? That can cause a delay.</p>

<p>Also, have you checked on MyBama (have you set up your mybama acct?) to see if anything is missing? And, if you go to the Academics tab, then look down on the left column, you might find out that you have been admitted if the Admitted Students links are working.</p>

<p>Let us know the answers to the above questions and we can help you further.</p>

<p>BTW…youngjacques…are you going to apply to CBHP?</p>

<p>And what is your major?</p>

<p>Have you visited Bama? What state are you from?</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Congratulations Young! Best of luck and welcome to the Bama Family!!</p>

<p>mom2collegekids- I’m from Ohio, I plan to major in English (with pre-law intentions), and just did my official visit yesterday. I loved it and i’m sending in my first choice change card today :slight_smile: However, I sent my transcripts in several months ago and I’ve been accepted. They have my SAT scores on the honors application, so I assume it’s not a problem with CB.</p>

<p>Glad to hear that your visit went well! :)</p>

<p>*However, I sent my transcripts in several months ago and I’ve been accepted. They have my SAT scores on the honors application, so I assume it’s not a problem with CB. *</p>

<p>I’m confused. Are you saying you have been accepted to the school or you haven’t? </p>

<p>What are you still waiting to receive? </p>

<p>And…did you submit your formal application to the Honors College and do the CBH essays?</p>

<p>I’ve been accepted to UA and I’ve read on CC that many people who have submitted their scholarship applications have received official notification that they earned a scholarship (such as the presidential). I was just wondering how long it took typically to be notified of scholarships after the scholarship application is submitted. Admissions said the scholarship review process was rolling, and I suppose I’m just a worry wart. As for CBHP, I haven’t applied, mostly because the program includes the word “computer” in the title. I’m completely technologically illiterate for someone my age.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Oh…</p>

<p>You should be getting notification very soon about the Presidential Scholarship since you’re a NMSF. You’ll get notification of the rest of the NMF scholarship after Feb when you’re named a finalist. </p>

<p>If you don’t receive notification about your Presidential scholarship very soon, contact your area rep (go to Bama admissions website to find your rep’s contact info) and tell him/her that you haven’t rec’d your scholarship info. He/she will take care of that for you.</p>

<p>As for CBHP…do NOT worry about the word Computer in the title. This is how it works…your first 2 semesters are spent learning 2 computer languages (Bama assumes that you know nothing…so not a problem that you feel that you’re computer illiterate). </p>

<p>Then, after that, you do research in your choice of field of study. So, with a pre-law intent, you could do something associated with that. </p>

<p>The program is a minor and also fulfills the req’t for 2 computer language semesters. However, as an English major, you can also fill that req’t with a foreign language. What foreign language did you take in high school?</p>

<p>however, if CBH doesn’t interest you, then that’s ok. You’ll have plenty of other opportunities at Bama.</p>

<p>My mom is a french teacher (hence the jacques) so I’ve exhausted the french curriculum at my school, but I’ve also taken four years of spanish. My interest in languages sort of trumps my interest in computers so I was leaning towards filling that requirement with language anyway. However, I haven’t exactly been filled in on how the CBHP would be beneficial, so if you could inform me at all i’d greatly appreciate it :slight_smile: is it simply the best opportunity to conduct research at UA?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>It’s one of the best opportunities to do research, but certainly not the only way. :)</p>

<p>It’s a 6-8 semester program. The first 2 semesters, you take a computer class. For semesters 3-6/8, you do your research project(s). </p>

<p>My mom is a french teacher</p>

<p>Are you my nephew? LOL My SIL is a French teacher and her kids are fluent in French and Spanish. </p>

<p>Have you taken CLEP or AP exams in those languages? If not, why not? I’ve heard that CLEP is easier than AP exams.</p>