Scholarship deadline extended to Dec. 4

<p>lol i don’t have any cousins who go to bama so I’m probably not a distant relative. I’m taking AP French in May and it shouldn’t be too difficult. However, I’d hardly call myself fluent in Spanish so I’ll be avoiding that one. i’m excited that bama includes the study abroad stipend in its package… have your children taken advantage of that?</p>

<p>The study abroad option is really nice for OOS NMFs…not only can you use the $2000, but if you do a semester abroad, you can use the $10,000 for your scholarship tuition towards your semester abroad costs.</p>

<p>My older son didn’t want to do a semester abroad. My younger son is going to Nicaragua over spring break with some other Bama pre-med students and some physicians. </p>

<p>There are some awesome study abroad opportunities. Some are “faculty led” which can be very fun as well as educational. Bama does a Alabama at Oxford summer abroad that is very popular.</p>

<p>^^^My D is considering the Alabama at Oxford study abroad program for this summer. Oddly it will cost us way more out of pocket for the 4 week program than it will when she does the full semester abroad due to being able to apply the “regular” scholarship to the full semester program.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>That’s because you’ll get to use the $10k from her tuition, while for the summer program you can only use her NMF money (however, you might be able to use a semester, but that would require her to graduate in 7 semesters - not sure about that.).</p>

<p>^^^ Yup! One of the blessings of the NMF scholarship though is that we have some flexibility in being able to fund “extras” that we couldn’t have if she’d chosen a school without the generous merit aid package. We’ve talked with D about helping with grad school, etc. but if she’d rather go to Oxford and have less for grad school, it’s a possibility. </p>

<p>Pretty sure this is going to be one of the topics of conversation on the way home today…</p>