Scholarship info

<p>@Disneydad thats great. I have a neighbor whos 3 kids went there and are alumni as well. They love it! I think Provi is going to come short in my aid package.</p>

<p>We received our Geneseo Financial Aid package yesterday. There was no Merit or other grants offered only loans for both our son and us parents. Our other son who has similar grades had better packages from SUNY Oneonta, SUNY Oswego and even Ithaca College would be cheaper than Geneseo. We are still waiting for our financial packages from University of Rochester and Clarkson University.</p>

<p>My son rec’d his financial aid package yesterday as well. It was just for student and parent loans as well. As out-of-staters, U of Rochester is coming through as the more economical choice…actually all the private colleges are. So I guess Geneseo is off his list.</p>

<p>State colleges really dont give grants…just small merit.</p>

<p>All hope may not be lost for Merit Scholarships. I just found this at the bottom of the “Understanding Your Financial Aid Awards” on the Geneseo Website:</p>

<p>Additional Information
Institutional scholarships are not included in your initial aid award. Geneseo scholarships are determined by the Office of Admissions or Foundation Office at a later date. Notifications will be sent to the student and our Office. If an adjustment is necessary to the financial aid award, we will send a revised financial aid award notice.</p>

<p>@JEDAD2013 - Do you have any indication when the Merit Awards will be given out? My daughter got in and we were disappointed that the Financial Aid package consisted of only loans. I’m going to try to call later but figured I would ask to see if you or anyone knew?</p>

<p>I don’t know and was thinking about contact admissions pretty soon to ask as well. I know with the Edgar Fellows Program, they will notify us by April 15th. That paperwork is due tomorrow (3/22). I would hope the other Merit Awards would be announced sooner. It would be nice to have a final decision soon, but our last visit isn’t done (for U of R) until April 15th anyway, so I suppose we won’t make our decision before then anyway.</p>

<p>My son got the financial aid letter and it contained about $7000 in loans. A few days later he got an invitation to apply for the Edgar Fellows program, which he submitted the paperwork for. A few days ago he also got a Scholar in Residence award to cover the housing. With that award, he’ll be in very good shape if he picks Geneseo. But he’s still waiting to hear from all of the 7 other schools he applied to, including University of Rochester. Should get some news at the end of next week.</p>

<p>Interesting, I thought Scholar-in-Residence was only for International students, but it would be a nice incentive. It looks like your son has higher stats than my son though, so I don’t know if my son should expect that.</p>

<p>Oh, yes, I see Scholar in Residence is listed under the international student section on the Geneseo website. It is a nice incentive. S does have high stats, but nothing outstanding for ECs.</p>

<p>I called admissions earlier this week and spoke with an admissions counselor. The counselor stressed that there were very limited scholarships for freshmen and that there were strict academic requirements - I think he said ACT minimum of 32 which my daughter would not qualify for. I asked if there were any other programs like leadership, community service scholarship program or the scholar in residence and he said there wasn’t any other programs. Did anyone else call to inquire about this?</p>