Scholarship Letter?

<p>My D got a scholarship offer letter from another school she had applied to. I know UA sent out a preliminary one not long after acceptance but this other school’s letter had a COA worksheet with it so we could figure the “out of pocket” cost after the offered scholarships.</p>

<p>Anyone know when UA starts (or have they already started) sending out their official scholarship offers?</p>

<p>I’m thinking it was March, but it was almost a year ago, so I could be wrong. I don’t think we got anything about COA with the scholarship letter, but it was easy enough to figure out costs from the website.</p>

<p>We were told by the scholarship office it would be the beginning of March. Do you know if they put anything on MyBama?</p>

<p>For my older daughter, who was applying to college two years ago, her official scholarship letter from Alabama came during spring break – roughly the second week of March.</p>

<p>Txdad…what scholarship did your child get?</p>

<p>You can somewhat figure out what your costs will be. </p>

<p>However, be aware that schools usually increase R&B costs in late spring or early summer, so allow for some adjustment in those areas. </p>

<p>also, if other schools are giving scholarships for a “set amount” (like $15k per year), since that amount will not increase as tuition costs increase, that means that you won’t be able to predict your future costs very well. </p>

<p>The Bama Presidential and UA Scholar scholarships increase in value as tuition prices rise.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids, I’m assuming that since they are still waiting like us, they are not an automatic Presidential or UA Scholar scholarship family. I’ll be glad when March is done and those of us waiting and hoping for scholarship $$ know what we’re dealing with.</p>

<p>According to txdad’s previous post, his D has full tuition plus 2500 per year as an engineering major. </p>

<p>So, if that’s the case, then by looking over the various costs the family should be able to guestimate how much their costs will be. (taking into acct that dorm choice can affect cost, and meal plan choice during later school years can also affect cost).</p>

<p>All - M2CK is correct. She has the scores for the Presidential (Full from University) and the 2500 from Eng. We got a letter after her scores went up saying she was moved up to that level. </p>

<p>I’ve looked at the costs on the site and done the rough numbers. I’m looking for the official letter that I’m seeing people here say comes out in March so we can finalize the decision. In the official from this other school there was a previously unmentioned extra scholarship that covered more than we expected.</p>

<p>The other school is not a peer to UA but it is an “away” college and we’d be on the hook for only books and personal items.</p>

<p>I’ve looked at the costs on the site and done the rough numbers</p>

<p>IMO, the first year can be the priciest because the “big all you can eat” meal plan is req’d. Usually people (especially girls) choose a much smaller and cheaper plan for the later years.</p>

<p>I don’t know what kind of dorms the other school is providing, but if they’re a “standard double,” then the Bama COA for Room will not be comparable since that estimate is for the pricier Super Suites. If your D is fine with a standard double then those are about $4k per year cheaper.</p>

<p>Ah, sorry txdad, I thought by now the Presidential and UA Scholar families were all buttoned up by now, knew what their scholarship offers were.</p>

<p>The top dorms at the other are apt’s. They are 1-5 years old, similar quality to UA super suites. They also have a plentiful number of ‘standard double’. The scholarship is enough to cover the top end. Which is where most honors kids stay there I’m told.
She is honors at UA, so she’s honed in on the super suites for now.
I’m sure we’ll do more dicing and comparing - I was just hoping the official letter would be out soon so we can put this behind us.</p>

<p>*Ah, sorry txdad, I thought by now the Presidential and UA Scholar families were all buttoned up by now, knew what their scholarship offers were.
*</p>

<p>yes, those scholarship offers are known because of the letters that went out in recent months. I’m not sure what Txdad is waiting for. The “official letter” won’t specify different scholarships. I don’t think it will include any kind of COA worksheet. It will just restate what they already know and (I think) ask for the student to accept or decline the scholarships.</p>

<p>You can get a rough idea by running the numbers here: [Financial</a> Aid - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://financialaid.ua.edu/net-price-calculator/]Financial”>Net Price Calculator – Financial Aid | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Include other scholarship $$ into the equation (NMF, engineering, etc.) that’s not included in the calculator. My D will receive the NMF scholarship. She’ll major in astrophysics so I don’t know of any other scholarship $$ for her as an incoming freshman. I figured out yesterday that her freshman year out of pocket costs will be roughly $4500, not including transportation costs to/from Northern VA (she won’t have a car on campus). Thanks to all the CC folks here for enlightening us. Roll Tide.</p>