Scholarship offers yet?

<p>Has anyone received scholarship offers from Texas A&M for Fall yet??? My daughter got a huge one from Texas Tech a couple weeks ago...just wondering.</p>

<p>I believe they don’t send them out until next year.</p>

<p>Not through the standard University Scholarship application. My daughter received a small one from her department, but they made it clear that the offer was unoffiliated with the regular University scholarships.</p>

<p>I just got a letter in the mail summarizing my scholarships (dated December 11; I received my acceptance on Dec 5)</p>

<p>$12,000 over 8 semesters for the “President’s Endowed Scholarship”
$8,000 over 8 semesters from the ECE Department. It was awarded because I’m a NMSF.
~$16,500 (per year) out-of-state tuition wavier which was automatically received when I earned at least $1,000 in other university scholarships</p>

<p>It has a separate section showing things I might qualify for. The big one is the “NM Recognition Award” ($26,000 over 8 semesters) which I’ll received automatically if I’m a Finalist and name A&M as my first choice (which I’ve already done).</p>

<p>All of these have some renewal criteria. All of them require maintaining a 3.5 GPA. (Actually the wavier only requires a 2.75 GPA, but since I must have at least one of the other scholarships to get it, it effectively also requires a 3.5 GPA)</p>

<p>For anyone who’s curious they also listed scholarships I might be interested in after I’m enrolled:
Undergraduate Summer Research Program: $6324, for engineering students who have completed their sophomore year and are accepted to do research through the program.
Engineering Study Abroad Scholarship: $2000, one time award to offset costs for Look College of Engineering study abroad programs.
Academic Scholarship Study Abroad Stipend: $1000, after completing two semesters students can apply for stipend to offset semester/summer/full-year Study Abroad opportunity.</p>

<p>None of these scholarships had a FAFSA component. I think I specifically checked that I would not be filling one out.</p>

<p>If anyone wants to look at scholarships: <a href=“https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarships/Libraries/Documents/SCH_1213_Scholarship%20Handbook.sflb[/url]”>https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarships/Libraries/Documents/SCH_1213_Scholarship%20Handbook.sflb&lt;/a&gt;
(or more generally: <a href=“https://scholarships.tamu.edu/forms.aspx[/url]”>https://scholarships.tamu.edu/forms.aspx&lt;/a&gt; )
This is from the 12-13 year. They don’t have one up yet for the 13-14 year. Also this doesn’t list departmental scholarships like the ECE one I received.</p>

<p>Congrats LonelyHapax!</p>

<p>The letter that you received was your admission letter or you had already received it?</p>

<p>Son received the Presidential and OOS waiver offer yesterday. Holding out hope for the NMF Award and any departmental scholarships that Mays has to offer. We were told that the general scholarship application was used to qualify for any departmental scholarships offered by Mays College of Business. Not sure how other departments work. He also has apps in at UKY and Bama. Bama offers full tuition for NMSF and the offer gets bumped up for full ride freshman year, but drops down after that. UKY offers full ride for NMF and for hig test scorers 31 or 1360 SAT deadline or this is Jan 15 I tihnk. I hate to promote rival SEC schools. Gig Em Ags!</p>

<p>3.5 GPA is kind of high to maintain the scholarship especially in Engineering. Does anyone know how many students are able to keep their scholarships for all 4 years?</p>

<p>Confused786
I had received my admissions letter separately. It came around the 9th or 10th.</p>

<p>MTnest
My brother has one friend was was a NMF in engineering and has so far managed to keep his scholarship (he’s in his third year). Of course, a sample size of one isn’t that useful.
My brother managed to get an OOS wavier (he was not a NMF or SF), but lost it after his first year. He was never a very disciplined student though. My guess is your high school work ethic (not necessarily grades) probably shows you what you can expect from yourself/your child. My brother assumed he would pick up his grades in college because he would be more engaged in his coursework than he was in high school; that didn’t really happen. He enjoyed his classes much more, but he still lacked the willpower/time management/whatever he needed to get the grades.</p>

<p>My concern would be if you can’t maintain the 3.5 and lose the scholarships, can you afford to attend the school without the scholarships? My DS’ friend could not maintain a 3.0 GPA and lost his scholarship. He had to leave the school and transfer to another college. This wasn’t at A&M but it is hard to say how a student will do even if they had straight A’s in high school.</p>

<p>Anyways, I wish you the very best at the college of your choice :)</p>

<p>It’s a very real possibility. I know if I choose to attend A&M I will be putting myself under additional stress for grades, and will have to be ultra-sensitive to how what classes I taken when will affect my GPA. If I mess up, I know exactly how much my parents will be paying and how much debt I’ll be taking on (a lot).</p>

<p>My other brother was a top math student/overall student in our (reasonably large) county and a PS at Georgia Tech. Despite having graduated with a 4.0 in major-specific courses (Electrical Engineering), he only had a 3.54 overall GPA after his first semester. College courses and grading are different and much more difficult. I have seen many smart kids go to college and struggle and have seen the change in college grading first-hand in my family.
(This top math student, my bother, ended up with a B in Calc II (working his butt off for it), after having received a 5 on AP Calc AB in high school; college is a whole different level)</p>

<p>I was somewhat surprised that the GPA requirement was a 3.5; I was expecting a 3.0-3.2. I wonder if they use these to draw in students who may often lose their scholarship, but still remain at A&M paying a higher tuition.</p>

<p>If you’re in-state, as an engineering student, I don’t know where you would transfer that would be significantly cheaper. A & M is a state school, pretty comparable with the rest, except for UT, which is higher.</p>