Scholarship Question

<p>AL34, the trombone prof is supposed to be very, very good. One of my D’s good friends from HS will be part of his trombone studio next year. Can’t remember if he’s double majoring, majoring, or minoring.</p>

<p>D would LOVE to major in flute performance, but she knows it’s not really a feasible career. </p>

<p>I think she can get almost the full experience as a minor. She’ll still be eligible to participate in the top-level wind ensemble and the Huxford Symphony Orchestra. I’m assuming majors will trump her for flute lesson time, but she’ll trump all the people who aren’t officially part of the School of Music.</p>

<p>She was originally planning to minor in music because she thought she hoped she’d make CBHP, meaning she’d have two minors. She’s on a backup list for CBHP in case they offer it to some students who end up not coming to UA, but if she doesn’t make it, she may want to reconsider and double major in flute performance. (Which might mean more scholarship money from that school.) Or she may decide she doesn’t want to work quite that hard with two majors and lots of time in a research lab.</p>

<p>She’ll be majoring in biology, and she wants to participate in some of the very competitive research labs. That means she may only have time to do marching band her freshman year.</p>

<p>If you possibly can, have your son attend Crimson Camp this June and Honor Band next February. At Honor Band he can do all his auditions: marching band, wind ensembles, and school of music if he’s going to be a music major. My D didn’t have to do a full-on audition just to get into the music school as a minor, since we’d already had a visit and mini-master class with the flute instructor.</p>

<p>I must say I don’t even like the flute (just not my favorite instrument) BUT I completely enjoyed that! You must be so proud of your daughter!!</p>

<p>Thanks! We are definitely very proud of her!</p>