Scholarship question

If I have a 3.18 unweighted and a 3.8-4.0 weighted will I have qualify for scholarship?

They’ll use whatever’s on your transcript. If it lists both weighted and unweighted, they’ll use whichever one is higher.

Here are the scholarship guidelines for out-of-state students: http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.html

And they only look at 9th - 11th grade GPA. Senior year GPA doesn’t count.

You need a minimum ACT score of 27 in conjunction with your GPA. I do believe they use your weighted GPA . The requirements change often so definitely check the link dodgersmom shared.

Jumping in to ask a piggy-back question ---- Do any of the UA parents/boosters have any idea about when they make updates to the requirements? Do they adjust yearly or on any regular schedule? Is there a certain time (June? July?) when they typically publish changes to the scholarships?

Seeing above post that the requirements change often has me worried – any thoughts on the chances that they will be increasing the Presidential cutoff to 33 or 34 ACT? We were all really hoping to get the application in August but if the cutoffs change D may need to test again in the fall delaying her application.

I don’t think UA will raise the requirements @novicemom23kids because they’re still expanding. However, the are clamping down on the engineering program and thus taking away the engineering scholarship that brought awards up to full tuition for those with ACT 30-31. Who knows what UA will do with Presidential…let’s just hope the money continues to flow :slight_smile:

Usually, any changes are announced by June. One year, there was a NMF change in July.

No one has to wait to apply so that they can retest. You can apply, retest by Dec, and you’ll still get whatever scholarship your best test qualifies for.

Thanks for the information – we had read (or were told during our tour) that they accepted scores through the fall of senior year, but we assumed that we would have to wait to apply. D is interested in applying during the late summer before her senior year schedule gets hectic (too many APs imho). We did let her know this morning to be prepared to spend some of the summer reviewing and studying in the event that the requirements change.

@mom2collegekids so I was wondering if my weighted GPA is good enough?

All in-state and out-of-state scholarships require a 3.5 GPA at the moment. Your weighted is good enough, as long as that GPA is what is listed on your transcript…but you need to meet certain ACT/SAT score requirements, too. Please see here for the current requirements: http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/. As others have mentioned, these may change.

While there have been some changes to the NMF packages, I have not seen a change in theGPA or ACT/SAT requirements for the Presidential Scholarship for as long as I’ve been aware of it, which was when my daughter was a HS sophomore (and she’s graduating from UA later this week). While that doesn’t mean it won’t change in the coming years,or that one shouldn’t check regularly, I don’t think you can say that the requirements change often.

<<<

Thanks for the information – we had read (or were told during our tour) that they accepted scores through the fall of senior year, but we assumed
<<<

No need to wait. Apply, retest by end of Dec, and you’re fine

@mom2collegekids I was wondering if a qualify to? For the scholarship?

@YGOTTI, since you belabor this thread with the same question, I will belabor it with yet another reply.

Your weighted GPA of 3.8-4.0 (if listed on your transcript) qualifies you for scholarships, yes. The threshold is 3.5.
BUT, GPA is only 1/2 of the puzzle pieces. The other piece is your ACT/SAT score. Since we do not know your ACT/SAT scores, we can’t tell you if you qualify for scholarships. Not even mom… :smiley:

@YGOTTI - I provided you a direct link to UA’s scholarship so that you can figure out for yourself whether you qualify.

@aeromom also provided you with a direct link to the UA scholarship page so that you can figure out for yourself whether you qualify.

Now that you have those links (and all the other information that’s been provided here), please go figure out if you qualify for a scholarship . . . and then come back and TELL US!!!

We’re waiting to hear . . . :slight_smile:

@aeromom thnx

@dodgersmom thnx does your children go to Alabama?