Scholarship Questions

<p>Ok…first to clarify.</p>

<p>“overages” in terms of being “over COA” is very different from “overages” in terms of being over “direct costs.”</p>

<p>Direct costs are tuition, fees, room, and board. However, books, travel, and personal expenses are still part of COA. So, certainly money would be given back to the student to go towards THOSE costs.</p>

<p>I’m thinking that money in EXCESS of COA will also go back to the student as long as ROTC is fine with that. I don’t think Bama will be an issue.</p>

<p>ROTC isn’t going to care. They will pay the full tuition, book allowance + monthly stipend in exchange for 4 years of service as an officer. The other scholarships are not their concern.</p>

<p>This may be off topic, but if I get the NMF scholarship can I use 2 of my 10 semesters of tuition as summer semesters?</p>

<p>Does living off campus in subsequent years (i.e., not having dorm/dining expenses on your student account as line items) affect any of these scholarships you are talking about above? Just a thought to consider, if so…</p>

<p>PremedGirlTN: Yes.</p>

<p>Premed girl…yes…AND, you can use them for summer study abroads…which is amazing!!!</p>

<p>I would do THAT…I’d take the $12k, use some to pay for 6 abroad credits and use the rest of the money to pay for the travel/housing costs.</p>

<p>Does living off campus in subsequent years (i.e., not having dorm/dining expenses on your student account as line items) affect any of these scholarships you are talking about above? Just a thought to consider, if so…</p>

<p>No. Wouldn’t affect Bama or eng’g scholarships at all. Bama has never req’d that the Presidential scholarship go only for on campus housing, if not used for tuition. </p>

<p>And the ROTC monthly stipend doesn’t specify oncampus housing either.</p>

<p>Regarding summer abroad, the tuition scholarship only covers the tuition portion of the study abroad cost which is a minority of the cost. IIRC last summers Oxford UA cast was a little under $7k. The tuition portion of that was less than 3k. We opted not to use a semester toward it. Now I’m glad because D has switched major/minors and added a new major so we will need all of our 8 semesters. If we had 10 semesters, wouldn’t be as much of an issue to use one for significantly less than its value.</p>

<p>Hi, if I am receiving the Presidential Scholarship… does this cover the entire amount of tuition, and if so, then what will my cost be? I’m assuming room and board plus books etc., but does anyone have a figure for this? Just trying to see what my out of pocket cost will be. Thanks for any input.</p>

<p>Yes, the Presidential covers all of tuition…it will even cover any tuition increases in future years.</p>

<p>The first year can be the most expensive year because the Freshman Meal Plan can be pricey and certain on-campus housing choices can be expensive (the private room suites). However, if you choose a Standard Double dorm, that can decrease the cost. And, after frosh year, you can choose a cheaper meal plan or choose “no plan” if you want. </p>

<p>It’s hard to know how much your other costs will be w/o knowing what your housing preference will be. Do you want a standard double? Or do you want a private bedroom in a “super suite”? </p>

<p>What will your major be?</p>

<p>Thank you mom2collegekids… I did the cost estimator and got a figure of what I would probably be paying after the Presidential. The Presidential is awesome, but unfortunetly it looks like even with that it will still be more cost effective for me to go to college in my home state. Even still, I applied to UA and we will see what happens.</p>

<p>Oh and also… Engineering major and standard double room.</p>

<p>I want to make sure that you know about the Engineering scholarship, which is added to the Presidential. As some scholarships stack, make sure that if you have not already filled out the scholarship application for other scholarships, that you do that soon, as the deadline is approaching. Alabama was kind enough to extend their deadline, due to the weather. If I remember correctly, there are some on there that apply to out of states students who are first generation, members of specific clubs, etc.</p>

<p>Ok…</p>

<p>As an eng’g major, you also get the 2500 per year.</p>

<p>the NPC on Bama’s website really won’t give you a correct estimate if you’re choosing the standard double dorm…which is much cheaper than super suites.</p>

<p>What is your home state and what school would you attend there? How much will that cost?</p>

<p>do you know what your EFC is?</p>

<p>When you look at the NPC, it includes the HIGH price of the Super Suites and the Frosh Meal plan.</p>

<p>Since you’ve said that you want the Standard Double, that is much cheaper…and the pricey frosh meal plan is only req’d frosh year. Most students save a LOT here by either choosing a lesser plan or no plan after frosh year.</p>

<p>super suites residence hall 8800 (this is what’s in the NPC result)</p>

<p>standard double 5600 (much cheaper!..$3,000 less!)</p>

<p>freshman meal plan * 3156 (only req’d frosh year.</p>

<p>After frosh year, my kids’ chose the Bronze Meal plan which is about $1600 per year.</p>