Scholarship/Random Questions

<p>I got accepted a couple weeks ago, and I just submitted my scholarship app tonight. I read on the website that final scholarship offers (or something) are mailed in mid March, but I’m wondering if I will get informally notified before that? Also, is it common/possible to get scholarships other the the automatic Presidential/Capstone etc? I didn’t qualify for any of the ones that you checked the box next to.</p>

<p>Also, does it matter what major you put down for scholarships? I’m seriously undecided between science/engineering but I put down physics… Is that going to make a big difference? If so, can I change it?</p>

<p>Thanks! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>You will likely get a letter in the fall stating what assured scholarship your current stats merit.</p>

<p>If you test again this fall (ACT Sept/Oct or SAT Oct/Nov), and your score merits a higher award, then you’ll get another letter.</p>

<p>Also, does it matter what major you put down for scholarships? I’m seriously undecided between science/engineering but I put down physics… Is that going to make a big difference? If so, can I change it?</p>

<p>Engineering majors with certain stats get additional scholarships. So, if you’re considering eng’g, then select that.</p>

<p>You can change your major in MyBama…Academic Tab…scroll down left column.</p>

<p>What are your current stats?</p>

<p>Ok thank you. I just changed to Engineering - Undecided. :)</p>

<p>Stats:
1510 sat
4.3 gpa (my school only does weighted)
top 6%
nmsf</p>

<p>I guessing that the 1510 SAT is Math + CR? </p>

<p>Ok…as a likely NMF, you’ll get:</p>

<p>Full tuition, including OOS rate.
one year of housing, including honors housing
iPad
$2K Study abroad money
$1k per year stipend</p>

<p>Above value…about $100k for an OOS student.</p>

<p>for engineering, you’d get an add’l $2500 per year. Value: $10k</p>

<p>I have a question. For the automatic scholarships, they require a 3.5 minimum GPA. Do you need that GPA at the time of acceptance or at the end of your senior year?</p>

<p>Proudmama3, it’s the GPA at the end of your junior year.</p>

<p>Ok thank you mom2collegekids. Proudmama, I think I read in the faq or something that they only consider 9-11th grade GPA for scholarships.</p>

<p>Yes, it’s the cum GPA at the end of Junior year.</p>

<p>Bama takes the weighted GPA. If your school doesn’t weight GPA and you need the weighting to make a 3.5, then ask your GC to write a weighted GPA on your transcript…Bama will accept that.</p>

<p>Darn. My D has a 2.98 and it’s unlikely she can get that up to the 3.5 this year. I wish she had listened to me last year. Oh these children. It would be neat if she could go to UA with her brother, but I just can’t afford OOS tuition in addition to what we are paying for S. She (read:we) will be researching scholarships for women going into engineering. Hope we find some.</p>

<p>Is your D a soph or jr?</p>

<p>Is she taking any AP classes or weighted classes?</p>

<p>She is a junior now. No honors classes except Chem 2 AP this year.</p>