Scholarship

<p>I believe I am a very competitive applicant for admission. My class rank is 1 out of 26, I have tons of extracurriculars, leadership roles, community service, etc. My question, however, is about scholarships. I know it says that on average, a student should have at least a 31 ACT to receive a scholarship. Well, my problem is that I made a 30. Has anyone been offered a scholarship with a 30 ACT? I have asked the admissions people about it before, but they always respond with a generic answer about how they take a holistic approach and how the most competitive students for scholarships have 31, but it technically doesn't automatically rule me out. Has anyone ever received a scholarship with test scores slightly below the "average for highly competitive applicants?" It would be disheartening not to receive a scholarship over one measly point. I have taken the test multiple times, and I honestly believe 30 is my max, I will not be able to improve any further (the first time was a very disappointing 26, so I have improved a lot already). If it helps, I earned at least a 30 on every section of the test (so I am consistent!):</p>

<p>Composite: 30
English: 31
Math: 30
Science:30
Reading: 30
Combined English/Writing: 30
Essay: 9/12</p>

<p>I think that there are students who have had slightly less than the stated minimum who have received scholarships in the past, but every year Miami seems to raise the bar. </p>

<p>The competition for scholarships is very intense and the level of students applying keeps going up steadily.</p>

<p>Good luck to you.</p>

<p>The fact that you’re ranked no. 1 (even if it is a small school) should help you. I was offered a half scholarship and I called to try to get the 3/4 because my test scores and GPA fit the criteria and they told me my class rank wasn’t high enough (which was BS because I went to a specialized HS, but that’s a whole other issue) and that the reason they gave me the half was because my test scores were so high. So if one factor is a lot higher, they might give you the benefit of the doubt.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your insight. I sent in my application and now am just praying that I get in with a scholarship. UM is my number 1 choice, but since my parents aren’t wealthy and we live in North Carolina (so travel would be an issue by itself), they basically told me that I can’t go unless I get a scholarship or lots of grant money. I have a feeling there will be many arguments about money in the coming months. :/</p>

<p>Tav, Your rank is amazing. I think you will definitely get some sort of scholarship. You need to focus your energy on applying for other scholarships…particularly local ones. My DS earned a bunch of them and it really helped give him choices in the spring. Most kids don’t go for the small ones because it takes an essay or some amount of work and they are busy having senior year fun. Tell your counselor to send every opportunity your way because you NEED them. You will be amazed at how many there are. Don’t focus on the national ones, too competitive.
And as for arguing with your parents, they need to do the FAFSA and you may qualify for a Pell or other grants. Make sure you apply to a financial safety and realize that your parents can only contribute what they can and communicate with them! College is expensive, you might get loans or you might do work study or both.
Best of luck. UM is great, but there are other great schools out there!</p>

<p>Thanks for the information! I am actually applying to 9 colleges (3 public in state, 4 private, and 2 public out of state), so I definitely will have a list to pick from, so at least I will have backup plans. I will also talk to my counselor about outside scholarships. Thanks again!</p>