Scholarships for African American students

Can we start a list?

The Gates Millennium Scholarship (even though it’s also inclusive of other racial minorities)

https://scholarships.uncf.org/

•The John Seigenthaler Scholarship for outstanding minority students interested in a career in journalism and/or public policy (full tuition), and
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/scholarships/additional.php

Hey all, when listing scholarships, can we distinguish between those that are merit and/or need based? For instance, as far as I know, any Gates related scholarship has a need based component. We’re particularly interested in merit only scholarships.

National Achievement Scholarships [ part of the National Merit Scholarship Foundation program]

Apparently, the National Achievement program has been discontinued. :frowning:

But here is a scholarship:

http://ousf.duke.edu/reginaldo-howard-scholarship

^^ what makes you think that???

I read it on this board and somewhere else. Class of 2015 was the last class to have this opportunity.

there is nothing on the NMSF website that says anything about discontinuing that program…

No, but it only mentions the 2015 program for kids who took the PSAT in 2013. There was no recognition for the students who took it in 2014. Call them if you want to verify. Instead they are partnering with UNCF and most of the UNCF scholarships are HBCU based and/or need based.

Yes, National Achievement is gone from what I understand.

The most prominent scholarship competition exclusively for AA students is Ron Brown. It is really competitive though -think HPYMS likely.

Jackie Robinson is open to all minorities. They don’t make final selections until June as they wait to see what college you are attending and how much FA and other outside scholarship funds you receive and will eliminate you if you don’t have unmet need.

If it happens to be your thing the American Meteorological Society has a minority scholarship in addition to their general scholarship.

University of Pittsburg offers a couple of full ride scholarships to a couple of AA students. You don’t apply, you are selected.

Washington University in St. Louis has the full tuition Ervin Scholarship which is not exclusively for AA students but is predominately so.

Don’t overlook local opportunities. My S received scholarships from the NAACP, the Afro American Heritage Association, 2 AA Sororities, and an AA CBO.

Ronald McDonald House has an AA scholarship but you have to have a participating House in your area.

Looks like Ron Brown and Jackie Robinson are need based.

Although need is considered for Ron Brown if you become a semifinalist it is not a low income program so middle class students should not be discouraged from applying.

This description sounds need based: The other requirements are pretty challenging too!

RBSP competitively awards Ron Brown Scholars four-year $40,000 scholarships ($10,000 each year) to the most talented and economically-challenged high school seniors who demonstrate a keen interest in public service, community engagement, business entrepreneurship and global citizenship – the four pillars of the late Ronald H. Brown’s mission to uplift people of all races, cultures and ethnicities – especially our disadvantaged youth.

@nw2this Financial Aid is also need based but you can make 150k plus and still be considered to have “need.” Your family situation may be well beyond that threshold -I was providing information for middle income families that don’t qualify for highly income dependent programs like Gates, Questbridge, etc. I realize that this your thread but others might find the information helpful.

@planner03 Thanks for posting the scholarships, I think the information is very helpful. TxNerd above requested that we distinguish between merit and need based awards and I agree that this is important as are all the eligibility requirements.

The terms 'economically challenged" and “disadvantaged” just didn’t sound middle class to me, but who knows?

@nw2this Yes, I agree, and that may discourage a lot of applicants, however under their FAQ:

Is there an income limit?

Financial need is a factor that we consider in awarding scholarships. If you think that you will be eligible for financial aid at the colleges to which you are applying, you should apply for a Ron Brown Scholarship.

Well that is clearer, but still kind of vague. Everyone is eligible for loans. I am guessing they mean grants.

The Ujima Global Leaders Program - need based
http://www.northeastern.edu/aai/programs/ujima-global-leaders-program/