Scholarships for continuing students (Georgia Tech CS)

I had posted this under a different category (Scholarships) but I am wondering if it was a mistake, since it is more specific to those who know about gatech specifically and so, posting this now under the gatech category. My apologies - as a recent subscriber, I am still trying to find my way around here.

General question - At gatech, are there scholarships for current (continuing) students ((i.e.) rising sophomores, juniors, seniors) ? Searched in their website, but can not get useful info. I do see there are scholarships for summer research but that is not what I am looking for. Is this one of the schools where if you don’t get any merit as a new admit, you pretty much forget getting any merit later?

Thanks!

Paging @VirginiaBelle who may be able to help with your question.

FWIW, generally speaking, it’s hard to come by signifiant merit aid if you weren’t awarded anything as an incoming freshmen. Usually those awards are small. But, hopefully you’ll get GT specific information from other posters.

Click on Institutional Scholarships.

https://finaid.gatech.edu/undergraduate-types-aid/scholarships/

In general, GT isn’t known for generous merit. Look at Stamps, Provost and a few others. These are very competitive.

Thanks!

I had looked at these, but it seems these are awarded to new admits, and if you don’t come in with one of these, you don’t expect to get it later.

What I was searching for is something similar to what MSE has: See
https://www.mse.gatech.edu/undergraduate-program/scholarships

It appears College of Computing or Department of CS do not have anything equivalent.

(I guess it is not surprising - they don’t need to be liberal with merit aid…)

Yes you are correct that the vast majority of scholarships (and there are very few) are awarded to entering freshman. I have heard of instances where students receive small departmental scholarships as upperclassman, but again rare and dependent on major. I would contact both the financial aid office and the office of the dean of the college of computing to see if there are any CS scholarships that might fit your needs. Just because they are not listed on the website doesn’t mean they don’t exist, but certainly not a common occurrence.

1 Like

I agree.

Anecdotally the department scholarships issued to upperclassman that I’m aware of personally were not in engineering or CS. And were not large amounts.